The UAB Athletics Campaign will publicly launch Tuesday, Aug. 18. UAB fans and Blazer Boosters are invited to join fellow UAB alumni, students, faculty, staff and fans at the UAB Alumni House (1301 10th Avenue South) to celebrate this special campaign event with doors opening at 4 p.m.
UAB Director of Athletics Mark Ingram recently announced that rifle will resume competing with the upcoming 2015-16 season as a mixed rifle squad with coed participation, bowling will return to competition during the 2016-17 academic year, and football will resume competition in the 2017 season at the Football Bowl Subdivision (FBS) level.
“The outpouring of support shown by donors, alumni and countless fans who are investing in these programs has been overwhelming,” Ingram said. “We must capitalize on this exceptional opportunity within our community and give UAB student-athletes every opportunity to compete for championships while earning a degree from this outstanding institution.”
Hatton Smith, CEO emeritus of Royal Cup Coffee and Tea, has partnered with Blazer Boosters to assemble the UAB Athletics Campaign Committee, composed of community leaders. Smith has been appointed the committee chair to raise additional funds, with an emphasis on athletics facilities.
As UAB Athletics moves forward with its campaign, Blazer Boosters encourages fans and donors to maintain their enthusiasm and join the effort by investing the resources necessary for the continued growth of UAB Athletics. Many outstanding business leaders have come forward to support the campaign and volunteer their time to serve on the UAB Athletics Campaign Committee.
“I am thrilled to announce such a strong committee and truly believe that, together, we will position UAB Football for competitive excellence,” said Smith. “These community leaders understand facility upgrades are essential, and we appreciate the opportunity to partner with UAB Athletics to build programs that generate proud moments for both UAB and Birmingham. Everyone has a role to play, and your participation is important!”
Blazer Boosters will be sending updates on a monthly basis to provide fundraising progress during the UAB Athletics Campaign.
Click here to make a pledge specific to the Football, Bowling & Rifle Support Fund or Football Facility Fund. Pledges can be fulfilled over a five-year period and are counted separately from Blazer Booster annual donations made to maintain ticket and parking benefits. Learn about giving opportunities online at blazerboosters.com or call Blazer Boosters at (205) 996-9969 for more information.
The UAB Athletics Campaign Committee is as follows:
- Hatton C. V. Smith (Chair), CEO Emeritus, Royal Cup, Inc.
- Adam S. Cohen, Partner, Cityscape Development Group
- Alicia Huey, President, Greater Birmingham Association of Home Builders
- Brian H. Bucher, Regional President, PNC Bank
- Brian Hilson, President and CEO, Birmingham Business Alliance
- Brooks Harris, Co-President, Harris Doyle Homes
- C. Phillip McWane, Chair, McWane, Inc.
- Charles A. Collat Sr., Chair Emeritus, Mayer Electric Supply Company, Inc.
- Charles E. Nowlin, Founder, Nowlin & Associates, Inc.
- Danny McKinney, CEO, McKinney Capital
- David L. Silverstein, Principal, Bayer Properties, LLC
- Donald M. Hire Jr., Retired President, Armstrong Relocation Company
- Giles G. Perkins, Partner, Adams and Reese LLC
- H. Craft O’Neal, Chair and CEO, O’Neal Industries
- Harold W. Ripps, CEO/General Partner, Rime Capital Account, Inc.
- Izell Reese, Executive Vice President, NCSA Athletic Recruiting
- J. Richard Cashio, Owner and President, Total Alloy Steel Service Company
- James J. Filler, Retired President and Treasurer, Jefferson Iron and Metal Co.
- James C. Lee III, Chair and CEO, Buffalo Rock Company
- James Spann, Chief Meteorologist, ABC 33/40
- James T. McManus II, Chair and CEO, Energen Corporation
- Joel T. Welker, President and Publisher, Birmingham Business Journal
- John J. McMahon Jr., Chairman, Ligon Industries, LLC
- Joseph L. McGee, President and CEO, Legacy Community Federal Credit Union
- Justin R. Craft, President, Nowlin & Associates, Inc.
- Leigh V. Collier, Regional President, Wells Fargo Bank
- Lenora W. Pate, Shareholder, Sirote & Permutt, P.C.
- M. James Gorrie, President and CEO, Brasfield & Gorrie, LLC
- M. Miller Gorrie, Chair of the Board, Brasfield & Gorrie, LLC
- Michael F. Pizitz, President, Pizitz Management Group
- Merrill H. Stewart Jr., President and Founder, Stewart/Perry Construction
- Michael D. Thompson, President and CEO, Thompson Tractor Co., Inc.
- Nelson S. Bean, President and CEO, First Commercial Bank
- R. Lee Smith, Jr., Executive Vice President, BBVA Compass Bank
- Richard Murray IV, President and CEO, National Bank of Commerce
- Robert A. Simon, President, Corporate Realty Associates Inc.
- Robert P. MacKenzie III, Partner, Starnes Davis Florie, LLP
- Steve DeMedicis, President, Red Mountain Technologies
- Thomas H. Brigham Jr., Chair, ARC Realty, LLC
- Thomas R. Cosby, Fundraising Consultant, Birmingham Landmarks
- T. Michael Goodrich, Chair, Timberline Holdings LLC
- T. Michael Goodrich II, Principal, First Avenue Ventures, LLC
- W. Lee Thuston, Managing Partner, Burr & Forman
- W. Stancil Starnes, Chair and CEO, ProAssurance Corporation
- Walter Howlett Jr., Chair and CEO, A.G. Gaston Enterprises
- William B. Morton Jr., President and CEO, Robins & Morton
- William R. Ireland Jr., Executive Vice President, National Bank of Commerce