Hiring Temporary / Irregular Employees - HR Policy 118

Hiring Temporary / Irregular Employees - HR Policy 118

This policy details the hiring of temporary and irregular employees for the university and the hospital
Effective Date:
Responsible Party:
None Assigned
Administrative Category:
Applies To:
Faculty, Staff
Material Original Source:

Policy 118 – Hiring Temporary / Irregular Employees

Date Issued: 08/91
Date Revised: 08/09

University departments occasionally need to hire “temporary” non-academic employees for specific assignments/projects which will be completed in less than one year. Departments may also need employees on an “irregular” or sporadic basis or to provide services for less than 20 hours per week with no particular time limitation. It is important that these individuals understand the nature of their appointments to avoid misleading expectations. Temporary and irregular employees are hired on an “at will” basis regardless of the expected length of the appointment. These individuals serve day to day at the discretion of the Institution for whatever length of time deemed necessary by management. A letter of offer to a temporary or irregular employee must indicate that the appointment may be terminated by either party at any time. *Office of Inspector General (OIG) and General Services Administration (GSA) checks are also conducted on all temporary and irregular new hires at UAB.

The position title used must be one that is currently in the UAB classification system and the salary within the established salary range. Questions concerning the position title or salary range should be directed to your HR Consultant or the Compensation Division. When hiring a temporary or irregular employee, a department should have the employee complete a standard UAB Application form which is then forwarded to HR Records. An I-9 Form must also be completed and sent to HR Records.

POLICY 118.A University
Temporary and irregular position vacancies are not required to be advertised but are subject to all Equal Employment Opportunity and Department of Labor regulations. Temporary employees may or may not be eligible for University benefits (see Benefits Eligibility Table in section 3 of the You and UAB Handbook). Irregular employees are not eligible for University benefits. Temporary and irregular employees have no greater rights to regular positions at UAB than external applicants for employment. Granting such rights could effectively circumvent our Affirmative Action obligations since an unfair advantage would be given to an individual who was not initially recruited through an Affirmative Action process.

Temporary Services employees may be considered internal candidates for the internal recruitment process. To be considered for any regular status position vacancy a Temporary Services employee must apply through the regular employment process If a department selects a Temporary Services employee for a regular position, after University procedures for filling job vacancies have been followed, the Temporary Services Office should be notified immediately
Once notified, the Temporary Services Office will initiate an ACT Document and reassign it to the employing department for completion. Temporary Services employees who become full-time regular employees will receive a new service date and begin to accrue benefits at that time. See HR Records Policy 412 for establishing a new service date.

POLICY 118.B UAB Hospital
All individuals hired to work in the Hospital are hired in compliance with the standards of The Joint Commission. Filling a temporary or irregular position at UAB Hospital requires completion of a Hospital Personnel Requisition Form and follows the regular hiring process. All new hospital employees are required to attend Hospital New Employee Orientation regardless of benefit status.


*As a recipient of Federal contracts and grants, UAB is required to conduct an OIG/GSA background check on all employees. The OIG/GSA check is used to identify individuals excluded or sanctioned from participating in Medicare, Medicaid or other federally funded programs.