Specific, standardized guidelines on the exact information that should be included in the letters have not been provided. However, below please find a suggested format and guidance for content if you are asked to write a letter in support of a visa application by your foreign postdoctoral associates, fellows, faculty and/or other international visitors.
[On department, lab or center letterhead]
To Whom It May Concern:
- Scholar’s name and job title, the work that the scholar is doing at UAB
- Appointment dates
- Amount of UAB salary per annum and/or amount and source of any non-UAB funding
- In layman’s terms, a detailed and non-technical description of the research to be conducted by the scholar, whether it is basic research or applied research. If the research has no military or defense-related purposes, say so.
- A detailed description of how the scholar’s qualifications match the requirements for the position.
- The scholar is expected to return to UAB to continue his/her research. A timely return to campus is important to the research group. Please feel free to contact me (the faculty who writes the letter) for further assistance if needed.
Signature of inviting faculty member or principal investigator.