Student Multicultural & Diversity Programs serves the UAB Community, especially our students, by developing providing programs and resources that promote multicultural and social justice awareness, education and appreciation. Additionally, we support the growth of students' attitudes, ideas, and behaviors as they relate to their personal and social identities.
There are several opportunities to be involved with our office.
Selection 2014 allows students to apply for one or more of the following programs.
Currently accepting applicationsAPPLY NOW
◦ Free Food For Thought is a dialogue series that encourages building a community that values diversity. Interested participants exchange viewpoints on selected topics, resulting in a greater awareness about issues and experiences across social and personal identities. Learning from one another through facilitated respectful discussion helps us value the contributions of our peers. In exchange for opinions, we provide Free Food.
◦ The SafeZone Program provides a visible network of trained individuals that serve as a safe space for LGBTQ identified students, faculty or staff. SafeZone Peer Educators are committed to providing an environment in which every student and university employee is free to thrive on an academic, professional and personal level within a community that is based on respect and dignity. These students serve as a part of the leadership team for LGBTQ programming and trainings within the Office of Student Multicultural and Diversity Programs. Application Requirements:
- Minimum GPA of 2.5 (BMEN 2.75)
- Must be a full time or part time undergraduate or graduate student at UAB
- Must have completed one term at UAB by the time of service – Fall 2014
- Must be available to serve a full academic year
- Complete all mandatory trainings
- Complete and adhere to the SMDP Student Leadership contract
- Attend all mandatory mentor events and activities
Below is the link to the new application:
Fill out the form "SMDP Peer Educator Application"
Deadline for submission is Friday, March 21