In-State Residency

Do you think you might meet in-state residency requirements? There are a number of factors that may be considered in determining in-state residency for tuition purposes, and you must be able to clearly prove your residency before it can be considered. Alabama, like other states, restricts resident tuition to persons who have been residing in Alabama for purposes other than to obtain an education, and who are able to demonstrate contacts with the State of Alabama indicating an intent to remain in this state. Resident tuition status is determined by the University, with regard to Alabama law, and the policies of the Board of Trustees of the University of Alabama.

Application for Residency Reclassification

Applicants who meet one of the following conditions are generally reclassified as in-state residents for tuition purposes:

  • You are a member, the spouse, and/or dependent child of a member in the U. S. military on full-time active duty stationed in Alabama under orders for duties other than attending school.
  • You are a full-time employee (not temporary) in the state or the spouse or minor dependent of such an employee.
  • You are employed by UAB as a graduate assistant or fellow.

Before making an application for resident student classification, please be aware of the following:

  • Guidelines for determining residency for tuition purposes are independent of other regulations used by state authorities to determine residency in the state of Alabama. For example, having an Alabama driver's license, an Alabama car tag, and/or voter registration will not necessarily demonstrate residency for tuition purposes.
  • Attending UAB or another institution of higher learning in Alabama does not establish in-state residency for tuition purposes. Residence in Alabama is residing in the State with the intent of remaining indefinitely.
  • If a person is in Alabama primarily for the purpose of obtaining an education, that person will generally be considered a nonresident student.
  • Documents supporting a reclassification application should be dated, issued, or filed the twelve (12) consecutive months prior to your initial enrollment at a Alabama institution of higher education.
  • To be considered for in-state tuition, you must be a U.S. citizen, permanent resident alien, or a legal alien granted indefinite stay by the Immigration and Naturalization Service.
  • If you are 19 years of age or older, you must establish residency based on your own circumstances and not that of your parent(s) or guardian.
You should submit your application to the appropriate office by the appropriate deadline, depending upon your UAB school affiliation.

If you are an undergraduate student who was awarded a Merit-Based (or ACT & GPA-Based) Scholarship, your award will be converted to an equivalent in-state scholarship if you are reclassified as an in-state resident for tuition purposes. The award will be based upon your ACT scores and high school GPA at the time of admission, and its amount will be equal to the amount affiliated with your original award year. (December test scores from your senior year in high school will be the final scores considered for scholarship purposes.) If your test scores and GPA fall within the Presidential and Endowed Scholarships range, then your scholarship will be converted to the UAB Provost Award (an annual award that provides $7,000 for the fall 2010, fall 2011, and fall 2012 freshman cohorts; $7,500 for the fall 2013 freshman cohort; and $8,000 for the fall 2014 and fall 2015 freshman cohorts).

Merit-based scholarship offers will be rescinded for Alabama residents who erroneously apply and are admitted to UAB as non residents, if they are admitted after December 1 of their senior year in high school. Scholarship eligibility is subject to the discretion of the Scholarship Committee.

Attention Veterans and Dependents of Veterans:

If you are obtaining benefits through one of the programs below and received an Honorable discharge within the last three years, you may automatically qualify for in-state tuition at UAB. Before submitting an Application for Residency Reclassification, contact the Office of Veteran Recruitment and Student Services to determine if you qualify.
  • Alabama G.I. Dependents’ Scholarship Program
  • Post 9/11 G.I. Bill (Chapter 33)
  • MGIB – AD (Chapter 30)

Where do I submit my application?

If you are a ... Submit your application to ... By
Undergraduate student One Stop Student Services (Residence Life Center of Blazer Hall) August 1 (for Fall semester)
December 1 (for Spring semester)
May 1 (for Summer semester)
Graduate student
(except Nursing)
Graduate School
HUC 511
Nursing Graduate student School of Nursing
Student Affairs
NB 105
Public Health student School of Public Health
Student and Academic Services
RPHB 105
Dental student School of Dentistry
Student Admissions
SDB 125
July 1
Medical student School of Medicine
Student Services
VH 100
As soon as requested, but no later than May 1
Optometry student School of Optometry
Student Affairs
HPB 125
July 1