Parking is hard to find at the beginning of each semester. Expect parking to be at near capacity during the first two weeks of the semester. Nearly EVERYONE will be on campus. By the third week of classes, traffic and parking patterns settle down.
Expect decks and lots closest to the center of campus to fill quickly.
Most classes are scheduled from about 9 a.m. to 2 p.m., Monday-Thursday.
Peak parking demand occurs during that time. Everyone wants to park as close as they can to main classroom buildings, so competition for the closest spots occur.
Parking areas that fill up the earliest are:
- 16th Street Parking Deck
- 12th Street Parking Deck
- Lot 15A (beside the Ullman Building)
- Lot 15G (beside the Humanities Building)
- Lot 15D (beside the Engineering Building)
Trying to find parking close to academic buildings does not necessarily save time.
Average time to find a central-campus parking space during peak use periods:
- 12th Street Deck: 35 minutes
- 16th Street Deck: 45 minutes
- Shuttle from Lot 15B to campus center: 15 minutes (based on maximum bus run-time wait). Average walk time: 10 minutes
- Shuttle from Lot 15N to campus center: 15 minutes (based on maximum bus run-time wait). Average walk time: 10 minutes
- Walking from Lot 15R/Lot 15F to campus center: Average walk time: 10 minutes
Have a plan in mind for an alternate parking area if your first choice is full.
- Do a dry run. Park at a lesser-used parking deck or lot (like Lot 15I, 15N or Lot 15B) and locate the nearest shuttle stop.
- Then you'll know exactly where to park and where to catch the bus if you don't wish to walk.
- There is NO REASON to park illegally in a full lot or deck and risk getting a citation
- There is NO REASON to drive around a deck until you are late for class.