This option is intended for students who have completed the highest academic subjects available at their high schools and are seeking a further academic challenge. Dual enrollment offers the opportunity to pursue a student’s interests and also to gain college credit while enrolled in high school. This option is available to students in schools which have a partnership with UAB that allows earning high school and college credit simultaneously.
Partner high schools/School Systems:
- Alabama School of Fine Arts
- Birmingham City Schools
- Homewood High School
- Hoover City Schools
- Jefferson County Schools
- Mountain Brook High School
- Pelham City Schools
- Pell City High School
- Shelby County Schools
Dual enrollment students must have successfully completed the appropriate high school coursework (i.e. if you wish to enroll in English 101 at UAB, you must have completed 4 units of high school English).
To apply for dual enrollment at UAB, students must do the following:
- Contact Undergraduate Admissions at 205-934-8221 or firstname.lastname@example.org to discuss the student’s goals and qualifications for dual enrollment. In some cases, a meeting may be appropriate.
- Apply for admission as a dual enrollment student at uab.edu/apply
- Pay the $30 application fee.
- Submit all required materials:
- An official high school transcript, with a minimum 3.0 GPA
- An official ACT or SAT score report (may be included on the official high school transcript), with a recommended ACT of 25. If you have not taken the ACT or SAT, we may consider PSAT or PLAN scores.
- A letter of permission from a parent or guardian which states the specific class and term in which the student desires enrollment.
- A written statement of support from the high school principal which states the specific class and term in which the student desires enrollment.