The University of Alabama at Birmingham is accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges to award baccalaureate, masters, doctorate, and professional degrees. Contact the Commission on Colleges at 1866 Southern Lane, Decatur, Georgia 30033-4097 or call 404-679-4500 for questions about the accreditation of The University of Alabama at Birmingham.
What Is Accreditation?
Accreditation is a process of self-regulation whereby institutions agree to
- submit to a peer review process,
- communicate truthful, accurate, and complete information to stakeholders,
- conduct an ongoing process of improvement, and
- focus on student learning and enrichment of the student experience.
UAB is accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC). We are currently preparing for our 2015 SACSCOC Reaffirmation which occurs every ten years. Reaffirmation involves these eight steps:
- Orientation of leaders
- Submission of Compliance Certification Document
- Examination of document by an Off-Site Review Committee
- Receipt of feedback from the Commission
- Submission of Quality Enhancement Plan (QEP)
- QEP proposal assessment (via a campus visit) by the On-Site Review Committee
- Response to the Committee’s report
- Commission action regarding reaffirmation
Your involvement is critical. Watch this site for upcoming events and opportunities to participate.
- June 1, 2014 – Compliance Certification draft sections completed
- Sept. 10, 2014 – Compliance Certification submitted to SACSCOC
- Nov. 4-7, 2014 – Off-site Compliance Certification review
- Dec. 23, 2014 (6 weeks prior to on-site visit) – Focused Report and Quality Enhancement Plan
- Feb. 3-5, 2015 – On-Site Reaffirmation Visit to campus