QualificationsIncoming freshmen are eligible to apply to the program. To qualify, you must:
- declare an interest in majoring in chemistry,
- have a 3.5 or greater high school GPA, and
- have a composite ACT score of 26 or greater.
BenefitsAs a chemistry scholar, you will:
- receive individual mentoring to help you develop into a highly qualified professional
- do undergraduate research alongside faculty members, both in the department and on the medical side of campus
- work closely with chemistry faculty mentors
- participate in the undergraduate teaching program as peer teachers
- join a leadership cadre of chemistry majors
Peer teaching involves shadowing an experienced peer teacher during the freshman year and then serving as a peer teacher for recitation and laboratory sections during your sophomore, junior, and senior years. This gives you an in-depth understanding of chemistry and trains you to work effectively in groups, as well as giving you hands-on teaching experience.
SupportIf you are accepted as a chemistry scholar, you will receive a stipend of up to $1,600 your freshman year. After that, you will receive up to $3,200 each of the sophomore, junior, and senior years as long as you:
- maintain a 3.0 GPA in chemistry,
- are a full-time chemistry major, and
- are in good academic standing at UAB.