Failure to attend any required meetings will result in an Unsatisfactory Assessment for Professional Dispositions Form and/or a lowered final student teaching grade. The ARI Training and Education Career Fair are the only meetings for which Alternative Master's Program full-time hired teachers do not need to attend.
Counted as the first day of the student teaching internship. Student teachers will be notified via email and an announcement within the Important Dates section of this website.
- Non-hired student teachers will have a morning orientation.
- Alternative Master's Program full-time hired teachers will have an afternoon orientation.
- Once the Student Teaching Handbook has been read, bring a signed copy of the “Acknowledgement of Student Teaching Handbook” form and “Confidentiality Agreement” to this Orientation meeting!
- The Student Teaching Orientation is only offered on one day during a specified time frame, so it cannot be made up! Attendance is mandatory for all student teachers.
Alabama Reading Initiative (ARI) Training – All non-hired student teachers are required to attend this three day training. Alternative Master's Program full-time hired teachers may attend, but are not required to attend. If a hired intern is interested in attending he/she must take personal days off and inform the Director of Student Teaching. Student teachers will be notified about this training via email and an announcement within the Important Dates section of this website.
All student teachers are required to attend the internship seminars that take place throughout the internship. Some student teachers will be required to register for the internship seminar course if the course is included in their program checklist. If the seminar course is not included on a program checklist, attendance is still required - failure to attend the seminars will result in a lowered final student teaching grade.
- Student teachers will be notified about the seminars via BlazerNet and an announcement within the Important Dates section of this website.
- All math, science, language arts, social science, foreign languages, art, and music education majors are to attend the secondary internship seminars.
- Held during the spring semester on one specific date on the UAB campus – date, time, and location will provided by the Director of Student Teaching and at the spring Student Teaching Orientation.
- Attendance is mandatory for all non-hired student teachers.
- Involves several school districts that conduct mini-interviews on site. Reservations for mini-interviews are on a first come/first served basis and occur once the doors open (early arrival is encouraged).
- Professional attire and a completed resume are required.