Only electronic applications via the Electronic Residency Application Service (ERAS) are accepted for Internal Medicine residency positions.
We will soon be accepting applications for the 2014 – 2015 interview season. All R-1 positions for the 2014 – 2015 academic year for the Internal Medicine Residency Program are selected through The National Resident Matching Program (NRMP). The UAB Internal Medicine NRMP numbers for Match participation are:
- Categorical Track (NRMP # 1007140C0)
3-year Traditional, Primary Care, or Women’s Health Track
- Preliminary Track (NRMP # 1007140P0)
1-year Internal Medicine before continuing on into another specialty
- ABIM Research Pathway (NRMP # 1007140C2)
Research and clinical program for clinician scientists
- Combined Internal Medicine-Medical Genetics Program (NRMP # 1007766C0)
5 year combined Internal Medicine and Genetics training
- Combined Internal Medicine – Pediatrics Program (NRMP # 1007700C0)
4 year combined Internal Medicine and Pediatrics training
- Graduation date less than five years from the year that you are applying.
- We do not have a minimal score required for USMLE Step 1 or USMLE Step 2.
- USMLE Step 1- You must submit your Step 1 results with your application for your application to be considered by our program.
- USMLE Step 2- A passing USMLE Step 2 CK score must be posted in ERAS prior to the NRMP rank list submission date for you to be considered for our rank list.
- Due to the highly competitive applications received by our program, we require that all USMLE steps be passed on the first attempt.
- For International graduates, we sponsor an H1-B and a J-1 visa.
- For International graduates, you must hold the standard Educational Commission for Foreign Medical Graduates (ECFMG) certificate. You do not have to be certified when applying; however, you must be certified by the match date.
- Hands on US Clinical experience is not a requirement for our program, however it is highly preferred. This does not include observerships or research.