The Division of Acute Care Surgery works closely with Neurosurgery, Orthopaedics, Otolaryngology, Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, Plastic Surgery, and Urology. Together with the regional and statewide EMS program, the division provides a comprehensive multidisciplinary program of care for the severely injured multisystem trauma or burn victim. UAB Hospital has been verified as a Level I Trauma Center by the 1999 American College of Surgeons Standards and the State of Alabama and has become one of the major treatment centers in the southeastern U.S. for patients suffering traumatic injury.
The Division of Acute Care Surgery and the associated Center for Injury Sciences at UAB are actively engaged in clinical and laboratory research programs which focus on :
- burn wound coverings and support techniques
- mediators and mechanisms of the metabolic response to injury, organ system failure and host defense mechanisms
- motor vehicle crash biomedical research
- role of growth factors in wound healing
- injury epidemiology
- trauma system development