UAB will celebrate Homecoming Oct. 31 to Nov. 6 with a fun-filled week of games, activities, public service, parties, a parade, a comedy show and, of course, football.
The theme this year is “In Every Blazer There’s a Fire.” More than 40 events are planned for students, alumni and the community, including UAB’s famed tradition, the Gurney Derby, in which teams of four compete while racing a gurney down a course on 13th Street South. The Gurney Derby is one of many traditions and events sponsored and presented by the UAB National Alumni Society.
Homecoming Week celebration highlights also will include the Blaze’s Fright Night, Blazer Hustle scavenger hunt and spirit competition, annual Stompdown/Spirit Show, dance and skit competition, Green and Gold Games, Blaze the Night bonfire and Fight Song Competition and the Mr. and Ms. UAB Scholarship competition.
One of the week’s highlights will be the second annual Homecoming Comedy Show. This year’s show, scheduled for Tuesday, Nov. 1, features Ross Mathews. Mathews, who got his start as Ross the Intern on “The Tonight Show with Jay Leno,” will bring the opinions and comedy he’s known for as a weekly panelist on E!’s hit late-night talk show “Chelsea Lately” and as Ross the Intern live to the ASC stage. The show won’t be strictly stand-up — he’ll tell stories and share a multimedia presentation referencing pop culture, hot topics and his own life and experiences. A frank question and answer with the audience will close the show. Tickets are $21; $10 for students with valid ID. Call 975-2787 or visit www.AlysStephens.org.
The week will culminate with a showdown between the UAB Blazers and Houston Cougars at 6 p.m., Saturday, Nov. 5 at Legion Field, complete with the Blazer Walk, Blazer Village and tailgating.
The week’s other highlights include:
Sunday, Oct. 30
- Paint the Town, 2 p.m., HUC Concourse
- Car Chalking, 2 p.m., HUC Parking Lot
Monday, Oct. 31
- Spirit Display Due, 8 a.m., Campus Green
- Tie Dye T-Shirts, 11 a.m. to 1 p.m., Rast/Blount Quad
- Blaze’s Fright Night, 6 to 10 p.m., HUC
- Blazer Hustle, 7 to 9 p.m., HUC
Tuesday, Nov. 1
- Photos with Blaze, 11 a.m. to 2 p.m., HUC Lobby
- Alys Stephens Center Comedy Show, 7 to 9 p.m., Alys Stephens Center
Wednesday, Nov. 2
- Gurney Derby, noon, 13th Street South
- Cookout, noon, Mini Park (after Gurney Derby)
- Green and Gold Games, 1 p.m., Mini Park
- Stompdown/Spirit Show, 7 p.m., Campus Rec
Thursday, Nov. 3
- Trade ’N Day, 10 a.m. to 2 p.m., Campus Green
- Blaze the Night (Bonfire, Pep Rally) 7 p.m., Mini Park
Friday, Nov. 4
- Parade, noon, UAB Campus/University Boulevard
- Blaze’s Best Dance Crew, 7 to 10 p.m., Campus Rec
Saturday, Nov. 5
- Homecoming Tailgate, 3:15 p.m., Legion Field
- Homecoming Game 6 p.m., Legion Field
Sunday, Nov. 6
- Paint the Town Clean-Up 2 to 4 p.m., HUC Concourse
A list of all scheduled alumni and student Homecoming events is online at uabhomecoming.blogspot.com.