The RS1003 Radiation Safety Initial Training Sessions is online and consists of four modules with a comprehensive quiz at the end of each module:
- Module 1: Radiation Basics (Terminology), Quiz 1
- Module 2: Radiation Calculations, Quiz 2
- Module 3: Policies and Procedures (Specific to UAB and the State of Alabama), Quiz 3
- Module 4: Ordering, Receiving, Transferring, and Disposal of Radioactive Materials at UAB, Quiz 4
Upon successful completion of the four modules, you may schedule your bioassay. Once your bioassay has been entered into the system, you may schedule the practicum class.
Once you have successfully completed the practicum, you will be finished with the course unless you are a License or Alternate License. For those who are Licenses or Alternates, you must complete the Radiation Safety License and Management course. This is taught live one-on-one at this time.
Remember you must complete the Radiation Safety Refresher every five years or if regulations change.
OH&S Support Facility Staff will no longer pick up radioactive waste unless the person manifesting the waste:
- Has successfully completed the Radiation Safety Initial Training Sessions course or the Radiation Refresher course within the last 5 years.
- Has a baseline bioassay on file.
- Participated in the hands-on Radiation Safety Practicum.
- Is listed on the approved Radiation Safety License.
- Has successfully completed this course every 365 days so that the OH&S Support Facility will pick up the waste.
Walk-through: After the L&M Course the RSP representative can walk though the lab spaces together with the PI as to exchange feedback on best practices in lab set up.
For more information, or to schedule a class, contact Radiation Safety at 934-2487.
Below you will find reference material and job aids to assist you in working with radioisotopes. After completing the course, feel free to return here and print any of the material you find useful.
If you work with radioisotopes as a part of your job, or are a Licensee or Alternate, you must complete this course and pass its quiz. A passing score of 80% or higher on the quiz is necessary in order to receive a certificate of completion. Retain the certificate in your lab file. You may be asked to present proof of training (certificate).