Before registering for the course, we strongly recommend that you contact Radiation Safety and discuss obtaining a license. There is additional paperwork that is required in addition to this course.
The online portion consists of three modules. Each module is followed by an assessment. You must score 80% or higher in order to pass each assessment. You will not be allowed to proceed to the next module until you pass the current one.
- Module 1: The Basics
- Module 2: Calculations
- Module 3: Policies and Procedures
After you have completed the bioassay, the Learning System will open the last part of the course – the hands-on Practicum. Like the bioassay, you will register for a set time. The Practicum is a place where you will practice what you have learned.
Once you have started this course, you have three months to complete it.
This course has a pre-requisite. If you have not completed the Radiation Safety Initial Training Sessions (OHS_RS102) or an approved equivalent, you will not be able to register for this course. Please check your training records. If you have any questions, please the Department of Occupational Health and Safety (OHS) at (205) 934-2487.
If you work with radioisotopes as a part of your job, or are a Licensee or Alternate, you must complete this course and pass its assessment. The passing score is 90% or higher. Retain the certificate in your lab file. You may be asked to present proof of your completion of training (certificate).
OH&S Support Facility Staff will no longer pick up radioactive waste unless the person manifesting the waste:
- Has successfully completed the Radiation Safety Initial Training Sessions course or the Radiation Refresher course within the last 5 years.
- Has a baseline bioassay on file.
- Participated in the hands-on Radiation Safety Practicum.
- Is listed on the approved Radiation Safety License.
- Has successfully completed this course every 365 days so that the OH&S Support Facility will pick up the waste.