The UAB ONE Card (ONE Card) is the official employee and student ID card for UAB/UAB Medicine.
The ONE Card program supports the mission and vision of the University by enhancing the overall student, faculty and staff experience through access to a variety of services, including but not limited to physical security, parking, the Campus Recreation Center, UAB libraries, student housing, copying and printing services, employee discounts via the Employee Perks and student discounts for admission to UAB athletic and a variety of community events. The ONE Card also functions as a declining balance card for purchases at a variety of on and off-campus dining and retail locations and card for meal plans.
1. Each cardholder (students, faculty, staff, residents, post docs, etc.) shall be accountable for their ONE Card as outlined in these guidelines.
2. The ONE Card is the property of UAB and must be returned to UAB officials upon request.
3. The ONE Card is non-transferable. Cards in possession of anyone other than the cardholder may be confiscated and turned in to University officials.
4. Unauthorized use, tampering, or alteration of a ONE Card may result in disciplinary action.
- Pins, stickers, etc., should not be placed on the ONE Card where the photo and written information is obstructed from view; this includes marking through information on the card with a marker.
5. Only one (1) ONE Card is allowed per person.
6. All active students, employees, residents and post docs are eligible for a ONE Card.
a. A student is defined as an individual who is currently enrolled, pre-registered for an upcoming term or newly accepted to UAB (for new student orientation purposes). Foreign exchange students are an exception to this rule and are classified as students.
b.An employee is defined as an individual who is employed by UAB or UAB Medicine in a benefited position, but not a temporary/irregular status. Some temporary/irregular status employees may be eligible for a ONE Card with entity management approval (see 11.b.01). Residents and post docs are included in this category.
01. If you are an employee in a benefited, non-temporary status position, but also enrolled as a student, employment status supersedes student status and therefore you will only be issued an employee ONE Card.
02. If you are an active student, working in a non-benefited or temporary status position, you will be issued a student ONE Card.
03. Card issuance for temporary/irregular employees is addressed in the Card Issuance section of this guide.
7. Individuals who are not students or employees (hereafter referred to as Visitor/Volunteer) who may require access to one or more ONE Card privileges are:
a. Retirees and adjunct faculty
b. Board members
d. Visiting students (not enrolled at UAB)
e. Visiting faculty/researchers (not employed by UAB)
f. Student Camp/Conference participants
8. A current photo ID will be required for active employees and students to procure a ONE Card.
9. All ONE Card photos are head and neck only, face-front (a basic DMV/passport style photo).
a. No substitute or otherwise different poses, faces, gestures, etc. are allowed by the subject of any ONE Card photo.
b. No hats (except for head coverings required for religious or medical reasons), sunglasses, or foreign objects are allowed in photos.
10. Cardholders are required to have a new photo taken each time they are issued a ONE Card.
11. New employees and students (who do not attend new student orientation) can receive their ONE Card at any carding office on campus during regular hours of operation:
a. A completed ONE Card request form signed by an agent of an authorized UAB department is required to issue an employee ONE Card. Existing employees should review their card information online prior to going to a carding location to have their card issued.
b. Employees who require a special ID card due to specific job assignments in the UAB Hospital Women and Infants Center (WIC) must obtain their ID card from the carding office located at Russell Ambulatory Center Room M-165. Authorization from WIC is required.
c. Temporary/irregular employees can receive an identification badge (this is not a ONE Card) from Human Resources (AB 110).
01. If a temporary/irregular employee needs a ONE Card for building access, the department where the temporary/irregular employee is assigned must request a ONE Card via the ONE Card request form. The temporary/irregular employee can take the completed form to any carding station to receive a ONE Card.
12. Visitors/Volunteers can receive their ONE Card at any carding office on campus.
a. Visitor/Volunteer accounts are created by ONE Card office managers or appointees only.
b. A completed ONE Card request form signed by an agent of an authorized UAB department is required to issue a Visitor/Volunteer ONE Card to a non-UAB student or employee.
13. Initial and replacement ONE Cards must be procured in person from a ONE Card office. Exceptions may include distance learning students, employees at satellite locations and contractors.
14. Each ONE Card issued has a unique card number. Only the active card will access the cardholders account information. Once a card number has been retired the associated card will cease to function and cannot be “reactivated.”
WEARING ONE CARD
15. UAB Medicine employees must wear their ONE Card in plain view, at collar/shoulder level, while the employee is on duty in accordance with the respective entity dress code policy.
16. UAB employees are encouraged to wear their ONE Card, but should carry the ONE Card with them while on campus.
UPDATING CARD INFORMATION
17. Student and employee ONE Card accounts are created automatically via upload from the UAB Enterprise Directory. Changes to full name or other demographic information must be made through the entity’s official system of record and will automatically update in the ONE Card system.
LOST OR STOLEN CARDS
18. If a cardholder believes their ONE Card has been lost or stolen, the cardholder should report at once such loss or theft to a ONE Card office. The University is not liable for card usage by unauthorized individuals prior to the report of a lost or stolen One Card.
19. The ONE Card offices will attempt to notify cardholders immediately when lost or stolen cards are received at a carding office.
20. Lost or stolen cards must be picked up in person by the cardholder or cardholder’s authorized representative.
21. Employees, affiliates, and visitors are required to have a completed One Card Request Form in order to receive a replacement card. No form is required for students. See “FEES” section for additional information on replacement cards.
22. For employees, at termination of employment, the ONE Card must be turned in to the ONE Card office, your supervisor or Human Resources.
23. UAB will not charge the cardholder for use of the ONE Card.
24. There is no charge for a student, faculty, and/or employee’s initial ONE Card.
25. There is a $15 fee for all non-student, non-faculty, non-employee ONE Cards. This includes but is not limited to cards for visitors, vendors, affiliates, and departments.
26. Replacement cards for students/faculty/staff absent from UAB for one year or longer who are required to reapply and for students who have graduated and are now enrolled in a graduate or professional program are issued at no cost to the individual.
27. Replacement cards for individuals who require a new card as a result of theft are issued at no cost to the individual if the individual can provide supporting documentation to the ONE Card office at the time the replacement card is produced.
28. Replacement cards for nonfunctioning cards due to normal wear and tear will be issued at no cost to the individual. A ONE Card employee will inspect the card and determine if card malfunction is due to long term use or damage.
29. Replacement cards due to legal name changes and/or official UAB job title/department/entity changes will be issued at no cost.
30. Replacement fee for lost or damaged cards or replacement cards as a result of card information changes not covered above is $15 and is due at the time the replacement card is issued.
a. The ONE Card Offices accept payment by cash and checks, credit cards, debit cards and Blazer Bucks.*
b. Departments may pay for an employee’s lost ONE Card by completing a request form if the department chooses to do so. The request form must include the appropriate costing account number and appropriate departmental signature.
ONE CARD OFFICE LOCATIONS
1813 6th Avenue South
Russell Ambulatory Center, Room M-165
*payments accepted in Hospital Business Office
909 18th Street South
Burleson Building, Suite 230
Residence Life Center of Blazer Hall