CRIME ALERT: ATTEMPTED ARMED ROBBERY at 800-12th Street South
On August 27, 2015 between the hours of 8:05 pm and 8:07 pm an attempted armed robbery took place at 800-12th Street South. A UAB student had just left class and had entered her vehicle when an unknown black male approached her at gunpoint and yelled for her to get out of her car and give him the keys. The student drove off before the suspect could take her property. The victim called 911 to report the offense. The victim was unharmed. A search of the area was conducted with negative results. The suspect has not been captured and is still at large.
The suspect is described as a black/male, approximately 6’02” in height, slender build and weighing approximately 180 pounds. He was bald and had no facial hair. He was wearing an oversized black T-shirt and black pants. The suspect was armed with a black semi-automatic hand gun. No additional description is provided at this time.
This robbery is being investigated by UAB Police Department. The detective assigned to this case is Calvin Tolbert.
Should you have any information concerning this attempted robbery, please call UAB Police Department at 205-934-4434.
Tips to keep you safe during a robbery:
· Being robbed may be one of the scariest things that you will ever face. It’s important to remain calm and don’t show fear.
· Never resist a robber. The robber wants your valuables, not you! Items can always be replaced…you can’t.
· If at all possible, walk with others---there is safety in numbers.
· Be careful, most robbers are just as nervous as you are.
· Everything that you remember about the person can help the police in their investigation. The police will want to know what the person was wearing, facial appearance, scars, tattoos, hair color, eye color, vehicle information (tag, color and type), and anything else that would make this person stand out. Immediately call the police after the robbery.
The UAB Blazer Express Safety Escort is available through Parking and Transportation Services by calling 205-934-8772. The service is available from 9:00 pm – 5:30am every day. We highly encourage you to use this service.