CRIME ALERT: Attempted Armed Robbery - 1000 13th Street South
On Tuesday, September 2, 2014, between the hours of 9:15 pm and 9:30 pm, a robbery took place near 1000-13th Street South, Birmingham, Alabama 35205. A UAB student was walking to his vehicle when an unknown suspect grabbed his backpack and attempted to steal his property. The student fought the suspect and was able to retrieve his property from the suspect. The suspect was last seen running East on 11th Avenue South. The suspect is still at large. The student was unharmed.
The suspect is described as a black male, medium complexion, facial hair on his chin, 170 pounds and approximately six feet in height. He was wearing a dark blue hoodie (over-sized hood), dark blue jeans, and white athletic shoes.
The UAB Police Department is investigating this case. Should you have any information pertaining to this offense, please call UAB Police Department at (205)934-4434. Det. Chi-Hsien Hu is investigating this case.
Tips to keep you safe during a robbery:
- Being robbed may be one of the scariest things that you will ever face. It’s important to remain calm and don’t show fear.
- If at all possible, walk with others---there is safety in numbers.
- Never resist a robber. The robber wants your valuables, not you! Items can always be replaced…you can’t.
- Always be aware of your surroundings and stay in lighted areas at night. The robber does not want to be seen.
- Everything that you remember about the person can help the police in their investigation. The police will want to know what they were wearing, facial appearance, scars, tattoos, hair color, eye color, vehicle information (tag, color and type), and anything else that would make this person stand out. Immediately call the police after the robbery.
The UAB Blazer Express Late Night Service is available through Parking and Transportation Services by calling 205-934-8772. The service is available from 12:00 am – 5:30 am, Monday through Saturday. There is no service on Sunday morning between 12:00 am – 5:30 am.