Armed Robbery 1900 Block 9th Avenue South
At approximately 4:00 a.m., Tuesday, March 12, 2013, a UAB employee was robbed at gunpoint in the 1900 block of 9th Avenue South, near the UAB Bevill Biomedical Research Building.
The suspects were two black males, possibly in their early twenties. One was wearing a grey hoodie with multi-colored design and was armed with a small black pistol. The second suspect was wearing a dark green hoodie and had a low haircut. The second suspect took the employees purse without incident. The car was described as dark green with dark tinted windows. There was a third suspect who was driving the vehicle, no description was given. The suspects departed in an unknown direction of travel.
The UAB Police Department is handling the case, please call Detectives James Dye at 934-9805 or Captain Duane Cox at 934-6848 or 934-4434.
Tips to Keep You Safe In The Event of a Robbery
- Being robbed may be one of the scariest things that you will ever face. It’s important to remain calm and don’t show fear. Don’t hold anything back. This may save your life. Please give them what they ask for, upsetting the robber is the last thing you want to do! Don’t be a Hero.
- Control your temper for the moment and remind yourself that you can’t be replaced. Make a Mental Note of their Appearance.
- Everything that you remember about the person can help the police in their investigation. The Police will want to know what they were wearing, shoes, facial appearance, scars, tattoos, hair color, eye color, vehicle information (tag, color, and type), and anything else that would make this person stand out. Immediately call the Police after the robbery.
- Please walk accompanied at night.
- If you are on campus use the UAB Escort Service, an after-dark service provided upon request to UAB students and employees on the UAB campus. You may reach the UAB Escort Service by calling 934-8772 from your office or cell phone. If these phones are not available, call UAB Police at 934-4434, or you may use a HELP Phone to request an escort. A UAB escort will meet you at any on-campus location (including parking facilities) and accompany you to your on-campus destination either on foot or in a marked vehicle. For more information on the escort service, go to http://www.uab.edu/police/programs-and-services/campus-escort.