Technology : Treatment Planning and Delivery : TrueBeam™ STx
The TrueBeam™ STx system is a radically new solution that is faster and more powerful, giving clinicians the ability to navigate the complexities of cancer care with confidence, including challenging cases in the brain, spine, lung, liver and prostate. The system uses sophisticated imaging and respiration synchronization tools to visualize soft tissue during treatment and make changes accordingly. With new beam-shaping capabilities using the High-Intensity Mode, it enables the delivery of larger doses in smaller places. Now clinicians can perform radiosurgery procedures with exceptional ease and speed, with most treatments taking only a few minutes a day. TrueBeam STx—innovative, intelligent and intuitive.
A TrueBeam system can deliver treatments up to 50 percent faster with a dose delivery rate of up to 2400 monitor units per minute, double the maximum output of earlier, industry-leading Varian systems. This makes it possible to offer greater patient comfort by shortening treatments, and to improve precision by leaving less time for tumor motion during dose delivery.
"Intelligent" automation further speeds treatments with an up to five-fold reduction in the number of steps needed for imaging, positioning and treating patients. A standard intensity-modulated treatment that would typically take ten minutes can be completed in less than two minutes. Complex radiosurgery that typically takes 40 minutes to an hour, can be completed in just 5 to 20 minutes.
The TrueBeam system also delivers Varian's new 'gated' RapidArc radiotherapy, which compensates for tumor motion by synchronizing imaging with dose delivery during a continuous rotation around the patient.This exciting new capability makes RapidArc an even more powerful tool for treating cancers of the thorax, such as lung and liver cancer, when tumor motion is an issue.
Other innovations built in to the TrueBeam system include:
- A streamlined treatment console with a modern, graphical, easy-to-use interface that consolidates all controls for imaging, treatment, and motion management. Treatment processes and workflows are simplified and easy to learn, with prompts, messages, and a "follow the light" guidance system that enhances safety by guiding therapists through the steps of even the most complex treatments. "One button" IGRT enables the therapist to spend more time attending to the patient, and less time managing the technology.
- A newly-designed X-ray tube is optimized for generating high volumes of quality 3-D (cone-beam CT) images.
- These 3-D images can be generated in 60% less time, with a 25% reduction in X-ray dose to the patient.
- A treatment couch that can be positioned with sub-millimeter accuracy in relation to imaging and beam delivery processes.
- A unique new non-clinical Developer Mode designed to facilitate collaboration with Oncology thought leaders interested in pioneering new treatment and imaging techniques.
For additional information about TrueBeam™ STx, please visit http://www.variantruebeam.com
The combination of TrueBeam STx with the Novalis Radiosurgery will give clinicians radiosurgical and image-guidance capabilities designed for targeted SRS and SBRT treatments. These packages of technology and services will include Brainlab iPlan® treatment planning and ExacTrac® room-based X-ray imaging technology as well as Varian’s HD-120 MLC multileaf collimator for high resolution beam shaping.
The TrueBeam STx is specially configured for advanced radiosurgery and is designed to treat a moving target with unprecedented speed and accuracy. A TrueBeam system can deliver treatments up to 50 percent faster with a dose delivery rate of up to 2400 monitor units per minute, double the maximum output of earlier, industry-leading Varian systems. This makes it possible to offer greater patient comfort by shortening treatments, and to improve precision by leaving less time for tumor motion during dose delivery.