The Dietetic Internship Program prepares entry-level dietitians for a variety of careers in health care, wellness, and food service management. Some of the many responsibilities of dietitians include:
assisting individuals and families in choosing food for adequate nutrition in health or disease throughout the life cycle;
supervising the preparation and service of food in groups;
developing modified diets; and
participating in nutrition research.
Dietitians work in hospitals, health care and government agencies, food industries, corporate wellness, restaurants, schools, and private practice.
The program offers on-campus and off-campus options (available in Birmingham, Huntsville, Montgomery, and Mobile). Both programs are completed in 10 months and combine supervised clinical practice with graduate coursework.
Students completing the UAB Dietetic Internship are eligible to take the national Registration Examination for Dietitians administered by the Commission on Dietetic Registration. Some graduates of the program choose to complete the M.S. in Clinical Nutrition degree requirements.
UAB Dietetic Internship
PROGRAM PHILOSPHY/MISSION AND GOALS
Program Philosophy/Mission: To provide a Dietetic Internship Program based on current research and technology in nutrition care delivery, food service administration, and community nutrition with a health promotion/disease prevention or nutrition sciences research emphasis. A broad variety of educational methodologies will be used to develop an entry-level dietitian who can function in a variety of settings, recognizes the need for life-long learning, and can contribute to improved health care of individuals and groups in a cost effective manner.
The goals of the dietetic internship are:
- The program will prepare graduates to be competent entry level dietitians.
- The program will prepare graduates who demonstrate a commitment to continued professional development and will prepare graduates who demonstrate ability to utilize current research in professional practice.
- The program will prepare graduates who demonstrate commitment to community service.
- The program will prepare students who will graduate with a Master of Nutrition Science and will also be eligible to take the Registration Exam for Registered Dietitians.
Dietetic Internship Program Curriculum
NTR 612 Research and Tech. Applications in Dietetics 3 hours
NTR 604 Principles and Practice of Nutrition Support 3 hours
NTR 589 Internship Practicum 9 hours
NTR 611 Advanced Foodservice Systems Management 3 hours
NTR 601 Advanced Medical Nutrition 3 hours
NTR 589 Internship Practicum 10 hours
NTR 589 Internship Practicum 5 hours
For more information, go to Dietetic Internship Resources page for application information, policy and procedure manuals.
DIETETIC INTERNSHIP OPEN HOUSE - On-Campus & Online!
Friday, December 6, 2013
10:00am – 12 noon CST
UAB Campus Location:
- Learning Resource Center, Room 114, 1705 University Blvd, Birmingham, AL 35294
- For more info on the Learning Resource Center go to - http://www.uab.edu/map/learning-resource-center
To join Virtually use the following link:
In order to join us virtually the Online Open House will be facilitated using Blackboard Collaborate which is part of UAB’s Learning Management System. Technical Requirements to join the Online Open House are listed below:
- Session Link – https://uab-bblearn.blackboard.com/webapps/bb-collaborate-BBLEARN/external.guest.session.launch.event?uid=b484382e-6a52-4aa4-9e83-b0a9980dae11
- MAC/PC computer with Memory of 512 MB RAM or higher (*Please note this online session may not be accessible on certain tablets or smartphones. A desktop or laptop computer is suggested.)
- Audio enabled speakers
- Internet Speed of 1 Mbps or higher
- Headset/Microphone (optional)
- Plug-ins Needed – Java and Flash Player
Please review the video tutorial on how to use Blackboard Collaborate including how to complete an audio setup wizard when you enter the Online Open House. You can enter the open house 45 minutes prior to its start time. This time can be used to connect to Blackboard Collaborate to ensure connectivity.