PurposeThe Student Health and Wellness Center, in partnership with Multicultural and Diversity Programs, Gender and Sexuality Diversity, UAB Title IX, Housing and Residence Life, The Division of Student Affairs and UAB Counselor Education Program, is excited to offer a 3-Track mini-conference, "Supporting Trans* Students." The Medical and Mental Health Tracks are designed to equip clinical providers with the knowledge and skills to provide top quality health and wellness care and services to our transgender students. The Student Services Track will bring together administrators and leaders in student services areas on campus to provide training about the needs of trans* students on campus and provide consultation to UAB areas to make steps toward greater inclusion and enhanced service-provision for trans* students.
News article: Student success focus of Alabama’s first conference on transgender students in higher ed
Who is Attending
- UAB Student Health medical providers and staff
- UAB Counseling Services mental health providers
- UAB Student Services administrators and leaders
WhereTrans* 101: September 28, 8-11 a.m., New Freshman Residence Hall (NFRH)
This session is for all training tracks
- Student Services Leaders: September 28, noon-2 p.m., NFRH
- Mental Health: September 28-29, Student Health and Wellness Center
- Medical: Septmber 29, 8-11 a.m., Student Health and Wellness Center
Presenters: The University of Wisconsin-Madison
- Cabriel C. Javier, MA
- Bonnie M. Benson, Ph.D.
- Rebecca L. Byers, MD