First-Time Entering Domestic Undergraduate Students
The University of Alabama at Birmingham requires the following vaccinations. Please submit the following form to indicate that you have satisfied these requirements:
First-Time Entering Immunization Form
Please submit the form to One Stop Student Services (be sure to include your BlazerID or student ID number):
- Physical Address: Hill University Center 118
- Fax: 205-975-6168
- Mailing Address: Box 99, 1720 2nd Ave S, Birmingham, AL 35294-1150
For questions, call 205-934-4300.
- All students born after 1956 without laboratory evidence of disease must have had 2 doses of MMR at least 28 days apart with the first dose given after 12 months of age.
- If the student has never been immunized, two injections of the vaccine, at least 28 days apart, are required.
- Evidence of at least a single dose of Tdap for all students aged 11-64 is required.
- In the absence of proof of immunization, Tdap can be administered regardless of interval since the last tetanus-diphtheria toxoid-containing vaccine.
- Adults should receive decennial Td boosters, beginning 10 years after receiving Tdap.
- Meningitis Vaccination
- Students under the age of 21 years must provide proof of immunization against meningococcal meningitis (Menactra, Menveo, or Menomune) since turning 16 years of age even if a vaccine dose was given at an earlier age.
- The booster dose can be administered any time after the 16th birthday.
- Tuberculosis screening
- Proof of tuberculosis screening within the last 6 months must be provided.
- Acceptable proof includes a PPD (skin test), or a Quantiferon (blood test).
- Individuals who have a history of a reactive skin test or positive blood test must provide a current chest x-ray (taken since their last positive TB test but within three months prior to enrollment) indicating that the person is free of active tuberculosis.
- If the individual has initiated or completed medical treatment for a positive skin or blood test, they are encouraged to provide documentation of such treatment.
- Individuals with a positive TB screening test should complete the TB Questionnaire, submit it to Student Health Services, and consult the UAB Student Health Services TB Testing Policy to view the required follow-up.
Students must provide proof of their immunizations and TB testing. The preferred and most efficient method to accomplish this is to download the First-Time Entering Domestic Immunization Form from the website. This should be completed by the documenting physician’s office and faxed or mailed to the Office of the Registrar by that office or the student. The actual “Blue Form”, chart records, and TB records need not be sent if this form is properly completed. The student may send these records in lieu of the Immunization Record Form.
The UAB Student Health Services will provide such immunizations and titer testing on a fee-for-service basis for any student who needs to meet the UAB immunization or titer requirements. Students may choose to fulfill these requirements at the Jefferson County Health Department or a private physician.
Individual UAB Schools may impose additional immunization requirements as needed for their students.
Short term (3 months or less) clinical and International Students TB screening requirements can be accessed on the UAB Student Health Service Immunization website.
Exceptions to this policy may be made in limited circumstances for students who can document medical and/or other contraindications to the vaccine. Requests for exceptions must be submitted to UAB Student Health Services for consideration and approval.
Students enrolled in online programs listed at http://www.uab.edu/studentimmunizations are exempt from this policy.
The Provost is responsible for procedures to implement this policy.