Educational BackgroundStudents entering the program with a master's degree are granted waivers for a maximum of 16 semester hours of substantive graduate work, upon approval of the Graduate Program Director and the professors in charge of the respective coursework in question. Students with a MA, MPH, MPA, etc., who have not written a Master's thesis will be required to write one before they proceed to the dissertation.
Students transferring from another graduate program without a graduate degree may be granted waivers for a maximum of 12 semester hours of substantive graduate work, upon approval of the Graduate Program Director and the professors in charge of the respective coursework in question.
Minimum Admission Requirements
- A bachelor's or master's degree from an accredited institution in Sociology or a related field with a minimum of 18 hours of social science coursework, preferably including social theory, statistics, and research methodology.
- An overall grade point average (GPA) of 3.0 based on a 4.0 system, or a 3.2 GPA for the last 60 semester hours in a BA/BS program.
- A 3.0 GPA in all previous graduate coursework.
- A score on the revised GRE (Graduate Record Examination) test ranging from 150-162 Verbal and 140-157 Quantitative.
- For international students, a minimum TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language) score of 550 and an acceptable score on the Test of Written English (TWE) or a minimum score of 6.5 on the IELTS.
Exceptional students who fail to meet any of the above requirements will be evaluated on a case‑by‑case basis. The following criteria are also considered in the admissions process:
- Evidence of scholarship.
- Statement of career goals, with emphasis on research and scholarship.
- Letters of Recommendation.
- Professional experience.
- Applications for fall admission are due by March 1
- Applications for spring admission are due by November 1
- Applications for summer admission are due by April 1
How to ApplyLearn about the process on the UAB Graduate School website.
The application for the PhD program can be completed through the Apply Yourself application.