Once you have passed the Praxis II in your teaching field, the Alabama State Department of Education (ALSDE) allows schools to hire you as a teacher while you are still completing the program. This may or may not be the best route for you. Be sure to consult with your SOE advisor before making this determination.
Here are some key reminders:
1. Keep your GPA up to standard - 3.0 is required for your master's degree and 3.25 is required by the ALSDE for certification.
2. Apply for student teaching in the January preceding the academic year in which you want to student teach. All students, including AMP students employed as full-time teachers, must apply for student teaching and register for the proper internship credit (EHS 691, EDA 690, or EMU 690) and for the internship seminar (EHS 690). Student teaching applications are available on the bulletin board outside of the Office of Clinical Experiences, EB room 213. For more information, call the Office of Clinical Experiences at 934-7530.
3. Apply for your degree (in EB 100) about 7 months before you intend to graduate. See specific deadlines posted outside of EB 100, call 934-7530.
4. Apply for your teaching certificate (in EB 100) at the beginning of the term you intend to graduate. See specific deadlines posted outside of EB 100, call 934-7530.
5. Portfolio - You are required to develop a Teaching Portfolio during your program. You begin working on this in EDU 500, which is taken during your first semester. This portfolio will be screened at various points during your program and also at the end of student teaching. A successful portfolio is required for a recommendation of certification.
6. The best way to start looking for a teaching job is: UAB Career Services