Division of Preventive Medicine
Medical Towers 624
1717 11th Avenue South
Birmingham, Alabama 35205
Phone: (205) 934-1443
Fax: (205) 934-7959
- tailored behavioral interventions for weight control and cancer prevention
- applied epidemiology
- weight-related psychosocial factors including stress management, social support/networks, body image, and quality of life
- University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences, Center for Obesity Research Post-doctoral Fellowship, 2011-2012
- University of Alabama at Birmingham, Doctor of Philosophy, Epidemiology, 2010
- University of Alabama at Birmingham, Master of Public Health, Epidemiology, 2005
- Florida State University, Bachelor of Science, Biology, 2002
- African American Collaborative Obesity Research Network (AACORN), Affiliate Member
- American Association for the Advancement of Science (AAAS)
- American Public Health Association (APHA)
- The Obesity Society
- Society of Behavioral Medicine
- American Association for Cancer Research
Selected Recent Publications
(Dr Carson's maiden name was "Cox")
- Cox TL, Krukowski RA, Love SJ, Eddings KE, DiCarlo M, Chang JY, Prewitt TE, West DS. Stress management augmented behavioral weight loss intervention for African American women: A pilot study. Health Education & Behavior. April 13, 2012 [epub ahead of print].
- Cox TL, Ard JD, Beasley TM, Fernandez JR, Howard VJ, Kolotkin R, Crosby R, Affuso O. Examining the association between body mass index and weight-related quality of life in black and white women. Applied Research in Quality of Life. 2011; DOI 10.1007/s11482-011-9160-8.
- Cox TL, Ard JD, Beasley TM, Fernandez JR, Howard VJ, Affuso O. Body image as a mediator of the relationship between body mass index and weight-related quality of life in black women. Journal of Women’s Health. 2011; 20(10): 1573-1578.
- Davison, K.K., Li, K., Baskin, M.L., Cox, T.L., Affuso, O. Measuring parental support for children’s physical activity in white and African American parents: The Activity Support Scale for Multiple Groups (ACTS-MG). Preventive Medicine. 2011; 52: 39-43.
- Affuso O, Cox TL, Durant NH, Allison DB. Attitudes and Beliefs Associated with Leisure-Time Physical Activity among African American Adults. Ethnicity and Disease. 2011; 21: 63-67.
- Ard, JD, Cox TL, Zunker C, Wingo BC, Jefferson WK, Brakhage C. A study of a culturally enhanced EatRight dietary intervention in a predominately African American workplace. Journal of Public Health Management & Practice. 2010; 16(6): E1-E8.
- Cox TL, Malpede CZ, Desmond RA, Faulk LE, Myer RA, Henson CS, Heimburger DC, Ard, JD. Physical activity patterns during weight maintenance following a low-energy density dietary intervention. Obesity. 2007;1220-32.
- 2012 NHLBI Summer Institute on Randomized Behavioral Clinical Trials Fellow
- 2011 Diversity Tour Winning Abstract, The Obesity Society Annual Meeting
- 2009-2010 Ruth Kirschstein National Research Service Award Pre-doctoral fellow