Division of Preventive Medicine
Medical Towers 639
1717 11th Avenue South
Birmingham, Alabama 35205
Phone: (205) 934-1443
Fax: (205) 934-7959
- obesity treatment and cancer prevention
- health disparities
- gut microbiota and health
- stress and health
- University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences, Center for Obesity Research Post-doctoral Fellowship, 2011-2012
- University of Alabama at Birmingham, Doctor of Philosophy, Epidemiology, 2010
- University of Alabama at Birmingham, Master of Public Health, Epidemiology, 2005
- Florida State University, Bachelor of Science, Biology, 2002
- African American Collaborative Obesity Research Network (AACORN)
- American Association for the Advancement of Science (AAAS)
- American Public Health Association (APHA)
- The Obesity Society (TOS)
- Society of Behavioral Medicine (SBM)
- American Association for Cancer Research (AACR)
Service to Professional Associations
- Chair-elect, Bio-Behavioral Research Section of The Obesity Society
- UAB Institutional Representative, NCI-funded Geographic Management of Cancer Health Disparities (GMap) (2015-2017)
- Recruitment and Retention Subcommittee, NCI-funded Geographic Management of Cancer Health Disparities (GMap) (2014-2015)
In the News
- Dr Carson’s 2014 profile by the UAB Comprehensive Cancer Center: Tiffany L. Carson, PhD (http://www.uab.edu/medicine/mhrc/23-additional-news-articles/94-scientist-profile-tiffany-carson)
- AL.com news article Can the bacteria in you bowels increase your cancer risk? (http://www.al.com/news/birmingham/index.ssf/2015/03/can_the_bacteria_in_your_bowel.html)
- Dr. Carson’s 2015 UAB Department of Medicine Research Spotlight (https://www.uab.edu/medicine/dom/research/spotlight/288-carson-spotlight)
- The Obesity Society Member Spotlight: Conversation with Tiffany L. Carson (http://multibriefs.com/briefs/TOS/TOS111616.php)
Selected Recent Publications
(Dr. Carson’s maiden name was Cox)
- Cox TL, Malpede CZ, Desmond RA, Faulk LE, Myer RA, Henson CS, Heimburger DC, Ard, JD. Physical activity patterns during weight maintenance following a low-energy density dietary intervention. Obesity, 2007 May;15(5):1226-32.
- Cox TL, Zunker C, Wingo BC, Thomas DM, Ard JD. Body image and quality of life in a group of African American women. Social Indicators Research, 2010; 99:531-540. PMCID: PMC3186445.
- Ard, JD, Cox TL, Zunker C, Wingo BC, Jefferson WK, Brakhage C. A study of a culturally enhanced EatRight dietary intervention in a predominately African American workplace. Journal of Public Health Management & Practice. 2010;16(6):E1-E8. PMCID # PMC3652327
- Davison, K.K., Li, K., Baskin, M.L., Cox, T.L., Affuso, O. Measuring parental support for children’s physical activity in white and African American parents: The Activity Support Scale for Multiple Groups (ACTS-MG). Preventive Medicine. 2011;52:39-43. PMCID # PMC3022380
- Affuso O, Cox TL, Durant NH, Allison DB. Attitudes and Beliefs Associated with Leisure-Time Physical Activity among African American Adults. Ethnicity and Disease. 2011;21:63-67. PMCID # PMC3074974
- Cox, T. L., Zunker, C., Wingo, B. C., Jefferson, W. K., & Ard, J. D. Stressful life events and behavior change: A qualitative examination of African American women’s participation in a weight loss program. The Qualitative Report. 2011;16(3):622-634. Retrieved from http://www.nova.edu/ssss/QR/QR16-3/cox.pdf
- Cox TL, Ard JD, Beasley TM, Fernandez JR, Howard VJ, Affuso O. Body image as a mediator of the relationship between body mass index and weight-related quality of life in black women. Journal of Women’s Health. 2011;20(10):1573-1578. PMCID # PMC3186445
- Cox TL, Krukowski RA, Love SJ, Eddings KE, DiCarlo M, Chang JY, Prewitt TE, West DS. Stress management augmented behavioral weight loss intervention for African American women: A pilot study. Health Education & Behavior. Feb 2013;40(1):78-87.
- Carson TL, Eddings KE, Krukowski RA, Love SJ, Harvey-Berino J, West DS. Examining social influence on participation and outcomes among of a network of behavioral weight loss intervention enrollees. Journal of Obesity. 2013; Volume 2013, Article ID 480630, 8 pages http://dx.doi.org/10.1155/2013/480630.
- Carson TL, Hidalgo B, Ard JD, Affuso O. Dietary interventions and quality of life: A systematic review of the literature. Journal of Nutrition Education and Behavior. 2014;46:90-101.
- Carson TL, Hardy C, Greene E, Carter PL, James G, Partridge EE, Baskin ML. Considerations for biospecimen collection among black women residing in the rural Deep South participating in a cancer prevention study. Journal of Community Genetics. 2014;5(3):257-63.
- Wingo BC, Carson TL, Ard JD. Differences in weight loss and health outcomes between African Americans and Whites in multicentre trials. Obesity Reviews. 2014;15 (Suppl 4):46-61.
- Johnson ER, Carson TL, Affuso O, Hardy CM, Baskin ML. Relationship between social support and body mass index among overweight and obese African American women in the rural Deep South, 2011-2013. Preventing Chronic Disease. 2014; 11:E224.
- Carson TL, Desmond RA, Hardy S, Townsend S, Young L, Ard JD, Meneses K, Partridge EE, Baskin ML. A study of the relationship between food group recommendations and perceived stress: Findings from Black women in the Deep South. Journal of Obesity. 2015;2015:203164. doi: 10.1155/2015/203164. Epub 2015 Mar 4.
- Carson TL, Jackson BE, Nolan T, Williams A, Baskin ML. Lower Depression Scores associated with Greater Weight Loss among Rural Black Women in a Behavioral Weight Loss Program. Translational Behavioral Medicine. 2016; doi:10.1007/s13142-016-0452-2.
- 2015: NHLBI-funded Programs to Increase Diversity among Individuals Engages in Health-Related Research (PRIDE) Scholar (competitive selection of applicants)
- 2014: UAB MHRC Charles Barkley Health Disparities Investigator Award for oral presentation
- 2013-present: NIH Health Disparities Loan Repayment Program award recipient
- 2013: UAB Health Disparities Research Training Program Scholar (competitive selection of applicants)
- 2012: NHLBI Summer Institute on Randomized Behavioral Clinical Trials Fellow (competitive selection of applicants)
- 2011: Diversity Tour Winning Abstract at the Obesity Society Annual Meeting
Current Research Projects
- The interplay of behavior, environment, and microbiota in colorectal cancer risk (K01CA190559)