Karan P. Singh, PhD
Professor, Division of Preventive Medicine
Director, UAB Comprehensive Cancer Center’s Biostatistics and Bioinformatics Shared Facility
647A Medical Towers
1717 11th Avenue South
Birmingham, Alabama 35205
Phone: (205) 934-6887
Fax: (205) 934-4262
Longitudinal data analysis, clinical trials design and survival methodology, health services research methodology, multistate cancer modeling, infectious and chronic disease modeling, statistical computing, hyperbolastic growth models and hypertabastic survival models
- University of Memphis, TN, PhD, 1986, Statistics
- Old Dominion University, VA, MS, 1983, Applied & Computational Mathematics
- CCSHA University, India, M.Sc., 1977, Statistics
- Meerut University, India, B.Sc., 1975, Chemistry, Mathematics, Physics
Professional ActivitiesChair, Member or Ad-hoc Member of Scientific Review Panels/Special Emphasis Study Sections of Funding Agencies (Past and Present)
- National Cancer Health (NCI)/National Institutes of Health (NIH)
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC)
- Congressionally Directed Medical Research Programs (CDMRP)
- Patient-Centered Outcomes Research Institute (PCORI)
- Agency for Healthcare Research & Quality (AHRQ)
- Oklahoma Center for the Advancement of Science and Technology (OCAST)
- Health Resources and Services Administration (HRSA)
- National Institute on Disability and Rehabilitation Research (NIDRR)
- Susan G. Komen for the Cure
Data and Safety Monitoring Board (DSMB)
- 2006-08, Chairman-DSMB, NIH-NCCAM Randomized Controlled Trial of Osteopathic Manipulative Treatment (OMT) and Ultrasound physical Therapy for Chronic low back pain, UNTHSC TCOM
- 2009-12, Member, NIH-NCCAM Randomized Controlled Trial of Osteopathic Manipulative Treatment (OMT) and Ultrasound physical Therapy for Chronic low back pain, UNTHSC TCOM
- 2010-Present, Member-DSMB, NIH Randomized Trial of Physical Activity Self-management Intervention for Patients with COPD, University of Texas Health Science Center at Tyler.
Organizer/Chair: Scientific Sessions in Conferences/Congresses
- Co-Chair, Statistical Consulting at Medical Centers: Opportunities and Challenges. Ordered Data Analysis, Models and Health Research Methods: An International Conference in Honor of H.N. Nagaraja for his 60th Birthday, University of Texas-Dallas, Texas, March 7-9, 2014.
- Co-Organizer and Co-Chair, Modeling Data in Health Sciences, International Congress of Modeling and Simulation, Adelaide, Australia, December 1-6, 2013.
- Chair, Epi and Genetic Epi, 31st Annual Conference of the Indian Society for Medical Statistics, Christian Medical College, Vellore, India, October 24-26, 2013.
- Chair, Public Health Nutrition, International Conference on Nutritional Science and Therapy, Philadelphia, July 15-17, 2013.
- Chair, Cancer Genetics, Epidemiology, Biostatistics and Prevention, World Cancer Congress, Xi’an, China, May 23-25, 2013.
- Chair, Mitochondrial Disorders: Diagnostics and Clinical Implications, 2nd Annual Conference of the Society for Mitochondrial and Medicine-India (SMRM): Mitochondrial in Health and Diseases, Ahmedabad, India, November 2-3, 2012.
- Chair, Mathematical Methods in Systems Biology and Population Dynamics, Cape Town, South Africa, January 4-7, 2012.
- Chair, Plenary Session, International Conference on Mathematics of Date, Allahabad, India, December 31, 2010-January 5, 2011.
- Co-Organizer and Co-Chair, Statistical Modeling in Health and Biomedical Sciences, International Congress on Modeling and Simulation, Cairns, Australia, July 13-17, 2009.
- Co-Organizer and Co-Chair, Statistical Methods for Analysis of Public Health Data, International Congress on Modeling and Simulation, University of Canterbury, Christchurch, New Zealand, December 10-13, 2007.
- Organizer and Chair: Microarray Data Analysis-Statistical Problems, Joint Research Conference in Statistics, Knoxville, June 7-9, 2006.
- Organizer and Chair: Applications of Fuzzy and Informatics in Environment and safety, 9th Word Multi-Conference on Systemics, Cybernetics and Informatics, Orlando, June 11-13, 2005.
- Organizer and Chair: Statistical Modeling in Health and Biomedical Sciences, International Congress on Modeling and Simulation, Townsville, Australia, July 14-17, 2003.
- Chair: Biostatistics, International Conference on Statistics, Honolulu, Hawaii, June 5-9, 2002.
- Organizer and Chair: Statistical Modeling in Health and Medical Sciences, International Congress on Modeling and Simulation, Canberra, Australia, December 2001.
- Organizer and Chair: Advances in Biostatistics, International Conference in Statistics, Combinatorics and Related Areas, Mobile, AL, December 1999.
- Organizer and Chair: Medical and Public Health Research -International Congress on Modeling and Simulation, Hamilton, New Zealand, December 1999.
- Organizer and Chair: Advances in Biostatistics, International Conference on Combinatorics, Statistics, Pattern Recognition and Related Areas, Mysore, India, December 1998.
- Organizer and Chair: Epidemiology, Health and Medical Research, Hobart, International Congress on Modeling and Simulation, Tasmania, Australia, December 1997.
- Chair: Statistical Modeling for Environmental Data, International Congress on Modeling and Simulation, Newcastle, Australia, November 27-30, 1995.
- Organizer and Chair: Health Effect/Health Assessment and Life Style Models-International Biometric Society-ENAR, Spring Meeting, Birmingham, AL, March 1995.
- Organizer and Chair: Health Effects Assessment, International Environmetrics Society
- Conference, Burlington, Ontario, Canada, August 1994.
- Chair: Characterization of Distances with Application Session - Quality Improvement Methods for Correlated Data Session, American Statistical Association (ASA), Winter Conference, Atlanta, GA, August 1994.
- Organizer and Chair: Risk Assessment, The International Environmetrics Society (TIES) Conference, Helsinki, Finland, August 1992.
- Chair: Mathematical Statistics Session-Third Canadian Conference in Applied Statistics, Montreal, Canada, August 1991.
- Organizer and Chair: Risk Analysis, The International Environmetrics Society (TIES) Conference, Como, Italy, September 1990.
Editorial Boards of Journals (Past and Present)
- Editor, Molecular Cancer Biology.
- Editor, Biometrics and Biostatistics International Journal.
- Associate Editor, International Journal of Food Safety, Nutrition and Public Health.
- Associate Editor, European Journal of Pure and Applied Mathematics
- Associate Editor, Universal Journal of Mathematics and Mathematical Sciences.
- Editorial Board, Advances and Applications in Statistics
- Editorial Board, JP Journal of Biostatistics
- Editorial Board, Statistics Research Letters
- Editorial Board, Topics in Integrative Health Care: An International Journal
- Editorial Board, Journal of Modern Applied Statistical Methods
- Associate Editor, Environmetrics
Reviewer of Scientific Journals
Statistical and Biostatistical Journals Include: Applied Mathematical Modeling, Biometrics, Biostatistics, Communications in Statistics, International Journal of Biostatistics, International Encyclopedia of Statistical Science, Journal of Applied Statistics, Journal of Computational Statistics and Data Analysis, Journal of Statistical Computation and Simulation, Journal of Statistical Planning and Inference, Journal of Statistical Theory and Practice, Journal of Theoretical Biology, Mathematical Biosciences, Statistica Neerlandica, Statistics in Medicine, Statistical Modeling, Statistica Sinica.
Public Health and Medical Journals Include: American Journal of Cardiology, American Journal of Physiology, American Journal of Preventive Medicine, American Journal of Public Health, American Journal of Radiology, Annals of Surgical Oncology, Arthritis Care and Research, BMC Cancer, Cancer, Expert Opinion On Therapeutic Targets, JAMA, Journal of General Internal Medicine, Journal of Medical and Pediatric Oncology, Journal of School Health, Maternal and Child Health Journal, Medical Care, Neurobiology of Aging, Obesity, PLoS ONE, Preventive Medicine, and Risk Analysis.
External Reviewer for Faculty Promotions, Tenure, Post-Tenure, Honors and Awards
- Northwestern University Feinberg School of Medicine
- Tulane University School of Medicine
- University of Texas Medical Branch School of Medicine
- Virginia Commonwealth University School of Medicine
- University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences Colleges of Medicine and Public Health
- University of Oklahoma Health Science Center College Public Health
- Wright State University School of Medicine
- Kent State University College of Public Health
- Texas A&M Health Science Center School of Rural Public Health
- University of Texas at Dallas
- Central Michigan University College of Arts and Science
- UAE University, United Arab Emirates
- King Saud University, Saudi Arabia
- American Society of Clinical Oncology
- American Statistical Association
- International Statistical Institute (ISI)
- The International Environmetrics Society (TIES)
- Modeling and Simulation Society of Australia and New Zealand (MSSANZ)
Selected Recent Publications (200+ Total)
- Putcha BDK, Jia X, Katkoori VR, Shanmugam CSC, Jadhav T, Bovell L, Behring MP, Callens T, Messiaen L, Bae S, Grizzle WE, Singh KP, Manne U: Clinical Implications of Rabphillin-3A-Like Gene Alterations in Breast Cancer. PLoS One 2015. In Press.
- Russo R, Coultas D, Ashmore J, Peoples J, Sloan J, Jackson BE, Uhm M, Singh KP, Blair SN, Bae S: Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease self-management activation research trial (COPD-SMART): Results of recruitment and baseline patient characteristics. Contemp Clin Trials 2015 Feb 3; 41C:192-201. PMID: 25657053 PMCID: PMC4380855
- Green HN, Crockett S, Martyshkin D, Singh KP, Grizzle W, Rosenthal E, Mirov S: A histological evaluation and in vivo assessment of intratumoral near infrared photothermal nanotherapy-induced tumor regression. Int J Nanomedicine 2014 Nov 5; 9:5093-102. doi: 10.2147/IJN.S60648. eCollection 2014. PMID: 25395847 PMCID: PMC4227627.
- Tabatabai MA, Kengwoung-Keumo JJ, Eby WM, Bae S, Guemmegne JT, Manne U, Fouad M, Partridge EE, Singh KP: Disparity analysis of cervical cancer mortality rate using longitudinal hyperbolastic mixed effects Type II model. PLoS One 2014 Sep 16; 9(9): e107242. doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0107242. eCollection 2014. PMID: 25226583. PMCID: PMC4167327.zzzz
- Rostas III JW, Pruitt HC, Metge BJ, Mitra A, Bailey SK, Bae S, Singh KP, Devine DJ, Dyess DL, Richards WO, Tucker A, Shevde LA, Samant RS: MicroRNA-29 negatively regulates EMT regulator N-myc Interactor in Breast Cancer. Mol Cancer. 2014 Aug 29; 13: 200. doi: 10.1186/1476-4598-13-200. PMID: 25174825 PMCID: PMC4169820.
- Jackson BE, Coultas D, Ashmore J, Russo R, Peoples J, Uhm M, Singh KP, Bae S: Domain-specific self-efficacy is positively associated with health outcomes among patients with COPD. Ann Am Thorac Soc. 2014 Mar; 11(3):310-5. doi: 10.1513/AnnalsATS.201308-273BC. PMID: 24447029 PMCID: PMC4028735
- Lykens K, Moayad N, Biswas S, Reyes-Ortiz C, Singh KP: Impact of a community based implementation of REACH II Program on caregivers of Alzheimer's patients. PLoS One. 2014 Feb 27; 9(2):e89290. doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0089290. eCollection 2014. PMID: 24586664 PMCID: PMC3937331.
- Zhang B, Zhang B, Chen X, Bae S, Singh KP, Washington MK, Datta P: Loss of Smad4 in colorectal cancer induces resistance to 5-fluorouracil through activating Akt pathway. Brit J Cancer 2014 Jan 2, doi: 10.1038/bjc.2013.789. [Epub ahead of print]. PMID: 24384683. PMCID: PMC 3929873.
- Kim KH, Dmitriev IP, Saddekni S, Kashentseva EA, Harris RD, Aurigemma R, Bae S, Singh KP, Siegal GP, Curiel DT, Alvarez RD: A phase I clinical trial of Ad5/3-Δ24, a novel serotype-chimeric, infectivity-enhanced, conditionally-replicative adenovirus (CRAd), in patients with recurrent ovarian cancer. Gynecol Oncol 2013 Sep; 130(3):518-24. PMID: 23756180. PMCID: PMC3748258.
- Bovell LC, Shanmugam C, Putcha BD, Katkoori VR, Zhang B, Bae S, Singh KP, Grizzle WE, Manne U: The Prognostic Value of microRNAs Varies with Patient Race/Ethnicity and Stage of Colorectal Cancer. Clin Cancer Res 2013 Jul 15; 19(14):3955-65. PMID: 23719259. PMCID: PMC3746330.
Awards, Honors and Recognitions
- Fellow, American Statistical Association (ASA), 2015.
- Member, National Cancer Institute GCSC Cervical Task Force, 2012-2016.
- Plenary Speaker, Mathematical Methods in Systems Biology and Population Dynamics, Cape Town, South Africa, January 4-7, 2012.
- Plenary Speaker, International Conference on Mathematics of Date, Allahabad, India, December 31, 2010-January 4, 2011.
- Outstanding Faculty in Research, UNTHSC SPH, 2010.
- Academic Commendation of Excellence (ACE) Award, UNTHSC, 2009.
- Outstanding Faculty Advisor, UNTHSC School of Public Health, May 2008.
- Member-ASPH/Pfizer Public Health Academy of Distinguished Teachers, 2008-2009.
- Nominee: ASPH-Pfizer Teaching Excellence Award, 2008.
- Keynote Speaker, International Congress on Modeling and Simulation, Christchurch, NZ, December 10-13, 2007.
- Elected Member- International Statistical Institute (ISI), 2006.
- Elected Member, DELTA OMEGA, Honorary Public Health Society, UNTHSC SPH.
- Distinguished Paper Award, Business and Health Administration Association, 2008.
- Best Paper Award, Issues in Healthcare: Elderly, Hospice, and Home Care, Business and Health Administration Association, 2008.
- First Place, Tarrant County Walk Across Texas Program, Texas Cooperative Extension, The Texas A&M University System, 2007
- Distinguished Paper Award, Business and Health Administration Association, Business and Health Administration Association, 2007.
- MBAA International McGraw-Hill/Irwin Distinguished Paper award, 2007.
- Best Paper Award, Health Promotion and Prevention, Business and Health Administration Association, 2006.
- Best Paper, Occupational Exposure to Nitrous Oxide in Operating Room Nurses, Presented in the Session: Applications of Fuzzy and informatics in Environmental and Safety Engineering Field, 9th World Multi Conference on Systematics, Cybernetics and Informatics, Orlando, FL, July 1-13, 2005.
- Fellow, Modeling and Simulation Society of Australia and New Zealand (MSSANZ), 2003.
- Outstanding Service Award, International Congress on Modeling and Simulation, Australia, 2001.
- Excellence in Mentoring and Advising: Alabama Minority Graduate Education Program, National Science Foundation, 2000.
- Distinguished Lecturer, Indian Institute for Medical Research, 2000.
- Distinguished Visiting Professor, University of Lampung, Indonesia, July 1999.
- Distinguished Lecturer, Indian Institute for Medical Research, 1998.
- VIP Award-Civitan International, 1993.
- Invited Participant, NSF Sponsored Workshop on Statistical Methods in Molecular Biology, University of California, Berkeley, March 31-April 3, 1992.
- Guest Speaker: Environmental Hazards Assessment Program, Medical University of South Carolina, March 5, 1993.
- Nominee, Joint Health Sciences Departments Teaching Award, UAB, 1991-1992
- Plenary Speaker: Annual Conference of Indian Society for Medical Statistics and National Seminar of Statistics in Maternal and Child Health, All India Institute for Medical Sciences, New Delhi, 1991.
- Invited Participant in a NSF Sponsored Workshop on Computational Molecular Biology, University of Washington, April 21-24, 1991.
- Invited Participant, NSF Sponsored Workshop on Integrating Quality and Productivity Concepts in Statistics Courses, University of Knoxville, July 29-August 3, 1990.
- Outstanding Faculty in Research, Central Michigan University (CMU) Faculty Profiles, 1989-1990.
- Outstanding Minority Student Mentor, CMU, 1989-1990.
- Nominee-Presidential Young Investigator Award: 1989.
- Research Professor Award, CMU, 1988-1989.
- Summer Research Fellow, CMU, 1988
- Summer Research Fellow, Memphis State University, 1986.
- Recipient of the Thomas L. Saaty Best Paper Award, American Journal of Mathematical and Management Science, 1982.
- Outstanding Communicator of Multi-cultures, International Speakers Bureau, Multicultural Center, ODU, 1982.