A new student center is on the way.
Hill University Center, which was a fixture for student life since 1983, was torn down in 2013 to make way for a new and improved student center.
Construction of the new building is currently under way and is expected to be completed in 2015. Like the former HUC, it will be a communal place where you can find friends, meals, books, and all sorts of student services, meetings, and activities.
Renderings:Below are conceptual drawings of what the new building may look like.
Bookstore, first floor
Bookstore, second floor
Timeline of Construction:
- All offices to vacate HUC by July 1, 2013
- Building demolition to begin August, 2013
- Construction to last two years
- Project completion expected by Fall 2015
Reused or Recycled items from Hill University Center
- Front desk used in Rast Hall
- Carpet from One Stop used in Housing
- Furniture from Board Room used by Athletic Department and HR.
- Artwork from One Stop used in SIH
- Water heaters pulled to be reused
- Fire alarm panel and devices pulled to be used for spare parts for other buildings on campus
- Variable Speed Drives pulled from air handlers to be used elsewhere on campus
- Wire pulled by communications
- Food service equipment pulled to reuse
- Stove – Commons
- Ice maker – Commons
- Tables and chairs – Diner
- Mill work (cabinets and counters) – C-Store
- Coffee Shop (HUC Café) furniture to be used in Sandella’s (opening soon in Lister Hill Library)
- Picnic tables used elsewhere on campus
- Benches used elsewhere on campus
- Cubicles from IT area used in SIH
- Security Cameras used for C-Store
- Light fixtures pulled to have supply
- TVs used in Housing and Rec. Center
- Corner guards used by Rec. Center
- Bulletin Boards used by Housing and Rec. Center
- Slat board from Bookstore used in C-store in Camp Hall and Rec. Center Pro Shop
- First floor lobby furniture used in Rec. Center
- Required departments to purge and/or digitize and, therefore, recycle paper