The Faculty Recruitment and Advertisement Guide aims to help departments organize and manage their faculty recruitment activities and advertisements to ensure that all required procedures and policies are adhered to throughout the faculty recruitment, selection, and hiring/appointment process. In this document, readers will learn how to design and submit faculty recruitment advertisements that meet UAB guidelines and standards. The document also contains the current U.S. Department of Labor certification rules as well as advertisement templates and other helpful faculty recruitment resources.
All faculty recruitment requests and advertisements must comply with federal guidelines and be approved by the Dean (or designee), the Equity Advisors (formerly Affirmative Action Officers), and the Office of the Provost. In addition, those who submit faculty recruitment advertisements must ensure that the advertisements meet all guidelines set by their school, college or UAB Libraries.
General guidelines for faculty recruitment advertisements.
Faculty Recruitment Request and Approval Process
How to request approval to post a faculty advertisement.
Advertisement Content Requirements
Essential content elements for a faculty recruitment advertisement.
Process for Closing a Faculty Recruitment Advertisement
How to close and remove a faculty recruitment advertisement.
Department of Labor Requirements for Labor Certifications
Requirements for faculty advertisements that are posted on the web.
Advertising Templates and Sample Ad Copy
Faculty recruitment advertisements samples and templates.
Faculty Recruitment Resources
Resources to assist with advertisement pricing, development, and placement.
Faculty Recruitment Advertisement FAQs
Common questions about faculty recruitment advertisements, and their answers.
Faculty Data Form
Record of faculty appointments, changes in promotion and tenure, and more.
Faculty Recruitment: Initial Phase of the Process
Details of the process from school approval to posting the position.
Faculty Recruitment Request Extensions
How to extend a faculty recruitment request beyond two years.
Faculty Recruitment Resource - HigherEdJobs.com
An additional faculty recruitment resource.
Faculty Appointment Letter Templates
Standard guidelines and practices for creating faculty and credentialed course instructor appointment/hire letters.
Appointment Action Summary Form
Required only if appointment to full-time regular faculty at Associate Professor with Tenure/Professor
Voluntary Affirmative Action Self-Identification Survey Program
For Faculty Applicants/Candidates
Recruitment & Hiring
- Receive approval from Dean to initiate faculty search.
- Submit Faculty Recruitment Request in UAB PeopleAdmin.
- Postion posted Faculty Jobs site and HEJ.
- Place recruitment advertisement in journals, publications, media sources, etc. for minimum of 30 days.
- Candidates apply to UAB PeopleAdmin
- Faculty Search Committee will review, evaluate, and interview candidates.
- Finalist candidate selection is made.
- Hiring propsal is initiated in UAB PeopleAdmin; routed for approval.
- Offer is extended to candidate.
- Obtain signed Offer Letter from candidate.
- Complete Form I-9.
- Complete Oracle ACT Document.
- Complete UAB Faculty Data Form.
- Obtain candidate's official transcript(s).
- Initiate Background Check Process
- Credentialing (if applicable)
- Obtain/verify professional/board licensure (if applicable).
- One Card (PreHire)
- School/College/UAB Libraries Onboarding and Orientation processes to be completed
- Provost Office Onboarding (link)
- Incoming Faculty Access to IRAP and LMS Access (Link)\
- Research Onboarding (Insert Link)
- UAB HR New Employee Orientation and Onboarding Checklist (link)
- Department-specific Onboarding
- Center for Teaching & Learning