Division of Preventive Medicine
Medical Towers 625
1717 11th Avenue South
Birmingham, Alabama 35205
Phone: (205) 934-7608
Fax: (205) 934-7959
Hospital use among minority patients with heart failure; Incorporation of community health works in chronic disease management for heart failure; Developing strategies to increase minority participation in clinical trials.
- Harvard School of Public Health, Masters of Public Health, 2003-2005
- Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Doctor of Medicine, 1996-2000
- Howard University, Bachelor of Science in Biology, 1992-1996
- 2003-2006 Massachusetts Medical Society
- 2003- Society of General Internal Medicine
- 2007- American Heart Association
- 2007- Mineral District Medical Society
COUNCILS AND COMMITTEES:
- 2005 Member, Health Policy Scientific Review Committee, Society of General Internal Medicine National Meeting, 2005
- 2006 Member, Health Disparities Scientific Review Committee, Society of General Internal Medicine National Meeting, 2006
- 2007 Member, Health Policy Scientific Review Committee, Society of General Internal Medicine National Meeting
University of Alabama School of Medicine
2007- Department of Medicine Junior Faculty and Fellows Advisory Group
2007- Ad-hoc reviewer, Journal of the American Medical Association
2007 – Ad-hoc reviewer, Journal of General Internal Medicine
Selected Recent Publications
- Ard JD, Durant RW, Edwards LC, Svetkey LP. Perceptions of African American culture and implications for clinical trial design. Ethnicity and Disease. 2005;15(2):292-299.
- Boulware LE, Ratner LE, Sosa JA, Tu AH, Nagula S, Simpkins CE, Durant RW, Powe NR. The public’s concerns about the clinical risks of live kidney donation. American Journal of Transplantation. 2002; 2(2): 186-193.
- Corbie-Smith G, Durant RW, Saint George DM. Investigator assessment of NIH mandated inclusion of women and minorities in research. Contemporary Clinical Trials 2006; 27(6):571-9.
- Durant RW, Davis RB, St. George DMM, Williams IC, Blumenthal C, Corbie-Smith GM. Participation in research studies: Factors associated with failing to meet minority recruitment goals. Annals of Epidemiology 2007; 17(8): 634-642.
- Durant RW, Davis RB, Saint-George DM, Williams IC, Blumenthal C, Corbie-Smith G. Participation in Research Studies: Factors associated with failing to meet minority recruitment goals. Journal of General Internal Medicine. 2004;19(S1):186.
- Durant RW, Legedza ATR, Marcantonio ER, Freeman MB, Landon BE. Willingness to participate in clinical trials among elderly African Americans and elderly Whites. Journal of General Internal Medicine. 2005; 20(S1):131.
- 1995 Phi Beta Kappa, Howard University
- 2001 Finalist, National Associates Research Poster Competition, American College of Physicians-American Society of Internal Medicine
- 2007 American Heart Association 33rd Annual Ten-Day Seminar on the Epidemiology and Prevention of Cardiovascular Disease
- 2007 Charles Barkley Health Disparities Fund Award
- 2009 American Heart Association Council on Epidemiology and Prevention Minority Travel Grant