To make a donation on-line to the HemOnc Research Acceleration Fund, directly supporting UAB Hematology/Oncology Research-Related Activities, click here.
Or, for a printable version of the donation form, click donor card RAF.
The Division of Hematology and Oncology has basic research programs in the areas of cancer genetics, TGF-β signaling, transcriptional regulation, tumor suppressor gene biology, oncogene expression and function, signal transduction, antibody-mediated destruction of hematologic and malignant cells, chemotherapeutic agent pharmacology, and use of electromagnetic fields for the treatment of cancer. The majority of our faculty has independent research funding in these areas.
Investigator-initiated clinical studies include novel treatment modalities such as the anti-DR5 antibody and gdT-cells, pharmacologic studies of chemotherapy agents, regional chemotherapy, combined modality treatment (chemotherapy, radiation therapy, and surgery), growth factors, diagnostic and therapeutic use of monoclonal antibodies and use of amplitude-modulated electromagnetic fields for the treatment of cancer.
Division of Hematology-Oncology Recent Publications
- Meng Z, Jackson NL, Shcherbakov OD, Choi H, Blume SW. The human IGF1R IRES likely operates through a Shine-Dalgarno-like interaction with the G961 loop (E-site) of the 18S rRNA and is kinetically modulated by a naturally polymorphic polyU loop.J Cell Biochem. 2010 May 15;110(2):531-44.
- Forero-Torres A, Saleh M, Galleshaw JA, Jones CF, Shah JJ, Percent IJ, Nabell LM, Carpenter JT, Falkson CI, Krontiras H, Urist MM, Bland KI, De Los Santos JF, Meredith R, Caterinicchia V, Bernreuter WK, O'Malley JP, Li Y, LoBuglio AF: A pilot trial of pre-operative (neoadjuvant) letrozole in combination with bevacizumab in post-menopausal women with newly diagnosed estrogen and/or progesterone receptor positive breast cancer. Clinical Breast Cancer2010 10(4): 275-280. (Investigator Initiated Protocol).
- Robert F, Sandler A, Schiller J, et al: Sunitinib in combination with docetaxel in patients with advanced solid tumors: a phase I dose-escalation study. Cancer Chemother and Pharmacol. 2010 Sept 66:669-680.
- Younes A, Bartlett NL, Leonard JP, Kennedy DA, Lynch CM, Sievers EL, Forero-Torres A. Brentuximab vedotin (SGN-35) for relapsed CD30-positive lymphomas. N Engl J Med. 2010 Nov 4;363(19):1812-21.
- Bryant, NL, Gillespie GY, Lopez, RD, Markert JM, Cloud GA, Langford CP, Arnouk H, Su Y, Hanes H, Suarez-Cuervo, Lamb LS. Preclinical Evaluation of ex vivo Expanded/Activated γδ T Cells for Immunotherapy of Glioblastoma Multiforme J Neuro-Oncology 101: 179 – 188 (2011)
- Rossman J, Reddy V, Cantor A, Miley D, Robert F. Phase II study of dose-intense chemotherapy with sequential topoisomerase-targeting regimens with irinotecan/oxaliplatin followed by etoposide/carboplatin in chemotherapy naive patients with extensive small cell lung cancer. Lung Cancer. 2011 May;72(2):219-23.
- Sohn HW, Krueger PD, Davis RS, Pierce SK. FcRL4 acts as an adaptive to innate molecular switch dampening BCR signaling and enhancing TLR signaling. Blood. 2011 Dec 8;118(24):6332-41. Epub 2011 Sep 8.
- Samanta, D., Kauffmann, J., Carbone D.P., and Datta, P.K., Long-term smoking mediated downregulation of Smad3 induces resistance to carboplatin in non-small cell lung cancer. Neoplasia, 14(7): 644-655, 2012.
- Lamb LS, Bowersock J, Dasgupta A, Gillespie GY, Su Y, Johnson A, Spencer HT Engineered drug resistant γδ T cells kill glioblastoma cell lines during a chemotherapy challenge: A strategy for combining chemo- and immunotherapy PloS One December 2012.
- Nagathihali, N.S., Massion, P., Gonjalez, A, and Datta, P.K., Smoking induces epithelial-to-mesenchymal transition in non-small cell lung cancer through HDAC-mediated downregulation of E-cadherin. Molecular Cancer Therapeutics, 11(11):2362-2372, 2012.