Or, for a printable version of the donation form, click donor card RAF.
The Division of Hematology and Oncology has basic research programs in the areas of cancer genetics, TGF-β signaling, transcriptional regulation, tumor suppressor gene biology, oncogene expression and function, signal transduction, antibody-mediated destruction of hematologic and malignant cells, chemotherapeutic agent pharmacology, and use of electromagnetic fields for the treatment of cancer. The majority of our faculty has independent research funding in these areas.
Investigator-initiated clinical studies include novel treatment modalities such as the anti-DR5 antibody and gdT-cells, pharmacologic studies of chemotherapy agents, regional chemotherapy, combined modality treatment (chemotherapy, radiation therapy, and surgery), growth factors, diagnostic and therapeutic use of monoclonal antibodies and use of amplitude-modulated electromagnetic fields for the treatment of cancer.
Division of Hematology-Oncology Recent Publications
- Mackenzie KF, Topping EC, Bugaj-Gaweda B, Deng C, Cheung YF, Olsen AE, Stockard CR, Mitchell, LH, Baillie GS, Grizzle WE, De Vivo M, Houslay MD, Wang D, Bolger GB. Human PDE4A8, a novel brain-expressed PDE4 cAMP-specific phosphodiesterase that has undergone rapid evolutionary change. Biochem J. 2008 411, 361-369. doi: 10.10742/BJ20071251.
- Igreja S, Chahal HS, King P, Bolger GB, Srirangalingam U, Guasti L, Chapple JP, Trivellin G, Gueorguiev M, Guegan K, Stals K, Khoo B, Kumar AV, Ellard S, Grossman AB, Korbonits M, and the International FIPA Consortiumz. Characterization of Aryl Hydrocarbon Receptor Interacting Protein (AIP) Mutations in Familial Isolated Pituitary Adenoma Families. Hum Mutat. 2010 May 13;31(8):950-960.
- Forero-Torres A, Saleh M, Galleshaw JA, Jones CF, Shah JJ, Percent IJ, Nabell LM, Carpenter JT, Falkson CI, Krontiras H, Urist MM, Bland KI, De Los Santos JF, Meredith R, Caterinicchia V, Bernreuter WK, O'Malley JP, Li Y, LoBuglio AF: A pilot trial of pre-operative (neoadjuvant) letrozole in combination with bevacizumab in post-menopausal women with newly diagnosed estrogen and/or progesterone receptor positive breast cancer. Clinical Breast Cancer2010 10(4): 275-280. (Investigator Initiated Protocol).
- Bryant, NL, Gillespie GY, Lopez, RD, Markert JM, Cloud GA, Langford CP, Arnouk H, Su Y, Hanes H, Suarez-Cuervo, Lamb LS. Preclinical Evaluation of ex vivo Expanded/Activated γδ T Cells for Immunotherapy of Glioblastoma Multiforme J Neuro-Oncology 101: 179 – 188 (2011)
- Rossman J, Reddy V, Cantor A, Miley D, Robert F. Phase II study of dose-intense chemotherapy with sequential topoisomerase-targeting regimens with irinotecan/oxaliplatin followed by etoposide/carboplatin in chemotherapy naive patients with extensive small cell lung cancer. Lung Cancer. 2011 May;72(2):219-23.
- Zimmerman JW, Pennison MJ, Brezovich I, Yi N, Yang CT, Ramaker R, Absher D, Myers RM, Kuster N, Costa FP, Barbault A. Pasche B. Cancer cell proliferation is inhibited by specific modulation frequencies. Br J Cancer. 2012 Jan 17;106(2):307-13. doi: 10.1038/bjc.2011.523. Epub 2011 Dec 1. PMID:22134506[PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE] Related citations
- Costa FP, de Oliveira AC, Meirelles R, Machado MC, Zanesco T, Surjan R, Chammas MC, de Souza Rocha M, Morgan D, Cantor A, Zimmerman J, Brezovich I, Kuster N, Barbault A, Pasche B. Treatment of advanced hepatocellular carcinoma with very low levels of amplitude-modulated electromagnetic fields. Br J Cancer. 2011 Aug 23;105(5):640-8. doi: 10.1038/bjc.2011.292. Epub 2011 Aug 9. PMID:21829195 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE] Related citations
- Samanta, D., Kauffmann, J., Carbone D.P., and Datta, P.K., Long-term smoking mediated downregulation of Smad3 induces resistance to carboplatin in non-small cell lung cancer. Neoplasia, 14(7): 644-655, 2012.
- Lamb LS, Bowersock J, Dasgupta A, Gillespie GY, Su Y, Johnson A, Spencer HT Engineered drug resistant γδ T cells kill glioblastoma cell lines during a chemotherapy challenge: A strategy for combining chemo- and immunotherapy PloS One December 2012.
- Nagathihali, N.S., Massion, P., Gonjalez, A, and Datta, P.K., Smoking induces epithelial-to-mesenchymal transition in non-small cell lung cancer through HDAC-mediated downregulation of E-cadherin. Molecular Cancer Therapeutics, 11(11):2362-2372, 2012.