Make sure to upload your:
- Photo (jpg images less than 250 KB)
- Curriculum Vitae/ Résumé
- Statement of Approval from your home school (form located in the online application)
- Health forms (located in the online application)
- Sponsor letter from a UAB School of Medicine faculty member (international students only)
- Copy of biographical information page of your passport (international students only)
- Complete one year of core clerkship rotations or be in the final year of training at your home school.
- Be actively enrolled in a program leading to an M.D. or D.O.
- Pay tuition to your home school during the time you will be attending courses at UAB.
- Obtain the approval of the administration of your home school to attend courses at UAB. The maximum length of participation is two months.
- Ensure that all application materials are uploaded into the online application. Students with incomplete applications will not be scheduled and will not participate in any courses.
- Be sponsored by a UAB School of Medicine faculty member if you are attending an international medical school.
You may not participate in the visiting student program if you have an M.D. or D.O. degree at the time of your rotation.
Finding a Sponsor
Students attending international medical schools must have a UAB School of Medicine faculty member as a sponsor before beginning the application process.
- You must rotate in the department of your UAB faculty sponsor for your first rotation.
- UAB School of Medicine faculty members are limited to sponsoring only six international medical students per academic year.
- International medical students should search the course catalog for the courses that accept international students.
- The course contact's e-mail address is listed in the course catalog for each course. Course contacts will likely be the first person you communicate with requesting a sponsor.
- Course contacts will forward requests to faculty members for possible sponsorship. Do not send out mass e-mails looking for sponsors.
- Faculty members will make the final decision to sponsor international students.
- There will be limited opportunities for international visiting students.
- Many departments no longer accept international visiting students.
The B1/B2 visa is preferred. If you absolutely must rotate using the J-1 visa, your course selection must be made at least three months before the rotation begins. We need three months to prepare the DS-2019, so we cannot honor any last minute requests for students using a J-1 visa.
If you rotate on the J-1 visa, you must:
- Complete and upload the Foreign Staff Appointment Form (located in the online application).
- Upload proof of financial funds (Section IV of the Foreign Staff Appointment Form) of at least $2,000 per month in funding. We will need a letter from your bank or a bank statement.
English Language Requirements
You must take one of the following TOEFL tests, passing with one of the following minimum scores:
- iBT (internet-based) score of 100, with a minimum of 22 on the speaking section
- Paper-based test score of 600
The 2013-2014 application is now open and will be available until March 1, 2014.
Electives begin July 1, 2013 and go through June 29, 2014.
US. residents – $15 + $150 per elective
International – $165 (first elective is free) + $150 per each additional elective
Housing is not provided for visiting students. It is your responsibility to make reservations and verify costs.
. Telephone calls will not be accepted.