Admissions and Interview Process for Advanced Standing
To initiate an application for Advanced Standing qualified applicants must request an application for Advanced Standing from the Medical School Admissions Office (email@example.com). Applications are only accepted from January through March.
- Applicants applying to the MSTP for admission with advanced standing must meet the admission requirements for admission to the School of Medicine with advanced standing as well as those for the MSTP/Graduate School.
- Applicants from school other than the UASOM must demonstrate compelling circumstances as one of the reasons for their request for transfer.
Completed applications will be reviewed by the Medical School Admissions Office and the MSTP Office. Completed applications must include an official transcript, two letters of recommendation from your professional school faculty who have taught you in the basic sciences or supervised you in the clinics, and an official letter of evaluation from the Dean/Associate Dean for Student Affairs or other appropriate official of the applicant's current school. This letter must state the eligibility (or expected eligibility) of the individual for promotion to the next academic year at the student's current school. The letter should address the academic and non-academic qualification of the individual for the eventual practice of medicine. Specific comment should be included on any infractions of the school's code of ethical and behavioral conduct.
- The Medical School Admissions Office and MSTP both must agree to offer the applicant interviews in order for the applicant to be given further consideration. Interviews will be coordinated with each office and conducted as determined by each office.
- Applicants not invited will be notified by letter signed by the Admissions Office and MSTP.
- In order for an applicant to be accepted the applicant must be acceptable to both the School of Medicine Admissions Office and the MSTP
- Accepted applicants will be notified in writing by the School Medicine Admissions Office as well as by the MSTP
- Applicants not accepted will be notified by letter signed by the Admissions Office and MSTP
- Acceptance is contingent on the applicant having a passing score on the USMLE Step 1. Applicants must complete this requirement prior receiving a formal letter of acceptance.
- Applications will not be considered from students who will have started their third year of medical school prior to transfer
Admissions Procedures for Graduate Students with Advanced Standing
Applications are also accepted from students currently enrolled in the University of Alabama at Birmingham Graduate School or any other US institution. These students would usually be in their first or second year of graduate school. Applications are NOT ACCEPTED from students who have already passed their qualifying exam and advanced to candidacy.
Applicants applying to the MSTP for admission with advanced standing must meet the admission requirements for admission to the School of Medicine as well as those for the MSTP. Requirements for Admission to UASOM can be found on the UASOM Admissions site-
Applicants must apply through the common AMCAS website and are subject to normal UASOM application deadlines. This is done electronically at the website http://www.aamc.org/students/amcas/start.htm.
On this site you will enter your essays, grades, MCAT scores, etc. You choose what schools you want to apply to (MD/PhD) and then AMCAS sends the applications to us. The application site usually opens mid summer and we accept applications until Nov. 1 for admission the following Fall semester.
Applicants are interviewed with and compete against the complete pool of regular applicants. If accepted, UAB students must take a leave of absence from their graduate programs in order to complete the first 2 years of medical school. At that time, they will then return to their laboratory and graduate program to complete the requirements for the PhD degree.
If a student is from a non-UAB graduate school, then credit for courses already completed will be determined on an individual basis.