The Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology’s Office of Education is committed to exemplary graduate and undergraduate medical education.
Our goals are:
- To provide leadership and support in curriculum development, program evaluation and educational consultation to our faculty, fellows, and residents.
- To provide needed educational support services for faculty, fellows, residents, and medical students with emphasis on maximizing the overall educational experience and achievement of specified learning outcomes as well as promoting life-long learning skills.
- To utilize sound principles and practices of adult education in our programs, services and activities.
- To ensure sound management practices, ethical conduct, competent faculty and adequate resources are available to successfully implement programmatic decisions.
- To produce nationally recognized curricula, assessments and outcome benchmarks in medical education.
- To assume a national prominence in educational research that informs our practice.
The UAB OB/GYN Fund for Excellence in Education was established in June 2012 to leverage existing resources and to help ensure the Department continues to provide the highest quality educational experiences to our residents and fellows by providing an opportunity for alumni, faculty and friends to invest in the future of Obstetrics and Gynecology. Funds are used to support travel for residents to present at regional and national meetings, global health electives, as well as provide the necessary research support, including laboratory supplies, data collection and analysis. In addition, funds are available to support faculty, fellows and residents for innovative educational initiatives including simulation activities and educational research.