Research Programs and ProjectsIf you are interested in participating in medical research studies for persons with asthma or COPD, or if you wish to be notified when new studies are about to begin, you may consider joining the Lung Health Center’s Research Database. Individuals who join the Asthma and COPD Databases are asked to answer questions about their health, take a simple breathing test, and provide information so the Lung Health Center team can contact them. There is never an obligation to say “yes” to enrolling in the study.
While participating in a research study may not lead to a scientific breakthrough, each study provides the stepping stones. Choosing to take part in a medical research study is a decision only you can make with the help of family, friends, health care professionals, and others you trust and respect. For information on participating in a study call 205-934-5555
Before finalizing your decision to participate in a study, be sure you know the answers to the following questions:
- What are the major goals of the study?
- What will be required of me and what is my role?
- What are the possible side effects? How likely are they to occur, and what will be done to minimize them?
- Is the study likely to benefit me directly?
- What are the potential benefits to others?
- How long is my participation required?
- What discomforts, inconveniences and costs are involved?
- Do I want to participate in this study?
For information on participating in a study call 205-934-5555.