The University of Alabama at Birmingham is nestled in the foothills of Red Mountain in close proximity to the heart of Five Points South and Lakeview, popular sites where our students find time to relax.
Being the largest city in the State of Alabama, Birmingham has a myriad of local attractions, restaurants, shopping centers, and events that make it a place for non-stop enjoyment and leisure. Birmingham is also a central location for day trips to the mountains or the beach with your family and friends.
If you are looking for a place to call "home", Birmingham may be the city for you!
Visit some of the helpful sites included below that showcase Birmingham and events..
Birmingham Area Guides
» Birmingham Facts and Figures
- A great central resource for all sorts of arts and entertainment events in the Birmingham area
- Quick facts and figures on Birmingham--the "Magic City."
» Birmingham Convention and Visitors' Bureau
- Interested in visiting Birmingham? We hope you stay. Check out this site for accommodations, transportation, dining, area attractions, and a calendar of events!
» Birmingham iPhone App
- Planning a trip or attending a convention in the Magic City? Download our free iPhone app in advance to learn what's going on IN Birmingham. The iPhone app features the Top 10 Birmingham attractions with handy directions links using the iPhone's built-in mapping features, a photo gallery of area scenes and video tour. This FREE app is compatible with all iPhone and iPod Touch devices. iPhone OS 3.0 or higher is required.
Birmingham News and Libraries
» The Birmingham News
- Birmingham's morning paper - The Birmingham News - is now available online to keep you up-to-date on news, weather, sports, upcoming events, and special features. Check out the "City Guide" link for information on Birmingham real estate, schools, entertainment, and communities.
» Birmingham Public Library
- For leisure or for research, the Birmingham Public Library has great facilities and a quiet, friendly atmosphere to fit your needs.
» Shopping in Birmingham
- Without question, Birmingham is the unrivaled retail giant of Alabama. From outlet malls to upscale boutiques, shopping opportunities are near endless
» Birmingham Restaurants
- The local dining scene in Birmingham is one of the best in the country with multiple top dining establishments,. Two local chefs were recently nominated for prestigious James Beard Awards. In 2010 Birmingham chefs Fank Stitt (Highlnads Bar and Grill) and Chris Hastings (Hot and Hot Fish Club) were nominated.
» Birmingham Dining
- Birmingham's restaurant scene continues to grow...good food and great atmosphere! Check out this site for reviews and ratings of local restaurants
» Alabama Sports Hall of Fame
- Are you a sports fan? Don't pass up the opportunity to see the Alabama Sports Hall of Fame, featuring three stories of sports history and memorabilia.
» The Barber Motorsports Park and Museum
- Racing fan? Check out racing at the Barber Motorsports Park--a 2.3 mile road course with 16 turns. The Park is also home to the Barber Motorsports Museum, featuring a collection of 850 motorcycles and 45 cars--the largest collection in the United States.
» Birmingham Barons Baseball
- For non-stop enjoyment with your friends or with your family, visit the Birmingham Barons at the Hoover Met...lots of games and lots of fun!
» UAB Sports
- Baseball, softball, football, basketball...it's all right here on the official site for UAB Sports. Come and see the UAB Blazers in action!
» Talladega Superspeedway
- Considered to be NASCAR's most competitive track. Visitors can watch a race, browse the museum or experience real racing by participating in the Racing Adventure.
» Robert Trent Jones Golf Trail
- Alabama's Robert Trent Jones Golf Trail is one of the state's top tourist attractions. The largest golf course construction project ever attempted, The Trail is a collection of 468 holes of championship golf on 11 different sites across Alabama. The Wall Street Journal said the Trail "may be the biggest bargain in the country" and The New York Times called the Trail "some of the best public golf on Earth." The courses at Oxmoor Valley are within 10 mines of downtown Birmingham.
Other Birmingham Events and Places of Interest
» Southern Museum of Flight
- The Southern Museum of Flight is a great attraction in Birmingham, featuring memorabilia, models, and aircrafts--aviation history for all ages!
» The Alabama Theatre
- The Alabama Theatre hosts events and films in Birmingham in a late 1920's ambiance. Even enjoy the Mighty Wurlitzer known as "Big Bertha"!
» Birmingham Civil Rights Institute
- Enjoy the majesty of the Birmingham Civil Rights Institute and how lessons from the past have inspired the present.
» Do Dah Day
- Annual Birmingham Do Dah Day festivities benefiting local animal charities...enjoy a parade and outdoor music festival plus Do Dah Eve music and festivities the night before!
» Birmingham Zoo
- Want to enjoy time in Birmingham with your friends or family? Picnic and stroll through the Birmingham Zoo...home to over 700 animals, including several endangered species. Also, enjoy the festival of lights at Zoolight Safari--an annual walking stroll at the Zoo held every December.
» Birmingham Botanical Gardens
- If you enjoy walking and the outdoors, check out the awesome greenhouse, walking trails, and Japanese and Rose Gardens at the Birmingham Botanical Gardens!
» Birmingham Museum of Art
- The Birmingham Museum of Art is the largest in the Southeast and is a stunning tribute to artists from throughout the world and the centuries. A definite sight to see!
» Vulcan Park and Museum
- Home to the world's largest cast iron statue and features spectacular panoramic views of Birmingham. Located atop Red Mountain, Vulcan Park and Museum tells the story of Birmingham's past, present and promise for the future.
» Oak Mountain State Park
- Whether you enjoy golf, camping, fishing, horseback riding, cycling, or just want to relax with a picnic and a swim, Oak Mountain State Park is here for you!
» Alys Robinson Stephens Performing Arts Center
- Want music? Comedy? Dance? Check out the entertainment at the Performing Arts Center--something for everyone to enjoy!
» McWane Center
- Enjoy an IMAX show with your friends! Or take a look at the hands-on science exhibits featured at the McWane Center....fun for all ages.