University of Alabama at Birmingham students and faculty were big winners at the Birmingham American Advertising Awards held at Regions Field Banquet Hall on Thursday, Feb. 6.
UAB Digital Media fellows and interns won the Gold Addy in the category of Integrated Campaigns for the TEDxBham promo. The student team includes Karla Khodanian, producer; Matt Drummond, videographer and editor; Kevin Peek, music composer; Daniel Twieg, videographer; Ryan Meyer, videographer and special effects; Brent Caswell, assistant videographer; Jared Jones, production assistant; Shannon Robinson, assistant videographer; and Sarah Witkowski, production assistant.
UAB Department of Art and Art History Professor of Graphic Design Erin Wright, MFA, won a Gold Addy in the Advertising for the Arts & Sciences category for his “50 Years: Civil Rights Movement” poster and a Silver Addy for his “Gender Equity” poster.
Assistant Professor of Graphic Design Doug Barrett and Cayenne Creative won the Gold Addy in Book Design and the Gold Addy in the POP or POS Materials (Other than Posters) category for “All Along the Way — Cahaba River Blueway Book.” Barrett and Cayenne Creative also won a Silver Addy in the Illustration Campaign category for “All Along the Way — Cahaba River Blueway Book” illustrations.
Student winners from the UAB Department of Art and Art History include:
• Ryan Meyer, Gold Addy for Sales Promotion, GO Urbanite Trail Mix
• Shannon Robinson, Gold Addy for Sales Promotion/Packaging, Hot Chocolate Bottles
• Jeanette N. Vasquez, Silver Addy for Integrated Campaigns, Moss Rock Festival Campaign
• Charles Carraway, art direction, and Leannya Long, editor, Silver Addy for Collateral Material-Brochure, UAB Department of Art and Art History brochure
• Miranda Hart, Gold Addy for Collateral Material Poster Campaign, Sloss Poster Series; Gold Addy for Collateral Materials/Book Design, Harley Davidson booklet; and Student Best of Show, Harley-Davidson booklet
• Maria Asenjo-Roberts, Silver Addy for Traditional Advertising, DinnerLAB booklet
• Betsy Cates, Silver Addy for Elements of Advertising/Logo, UAB Department of Art and Art History logo
• Ryan Meyer, Silver Addy for Collateral Material/Book Design, The White Stripes booklet
• Jeanette N. Vasques, Silver Addy for Elements of Advertising/Illustration, Hydroponic illustrations/infographics.
UAB’s strong showing at the Addy awards is a testament to the talent and resources students and faculty have at UAB, says Director of Digital Media and Learning Rosie O’Beirne.
“Some of UAB’s student work rivaled professional pieces,” she said. “I am so incredibly proud of UAB Digital Media’s student production team. We received very positive feedback from professional creatives at the event. I am confident that we are preparing our students for an industry that is increasingly digital and requires a collaborative, team-based approach to storytelling. Our students are excited to be recognized, and they are beginning to plan for what they would like to submit next year.”
The judges were Amy Feezor, freelance writer and creative strategy consultant; Cam Giblin, an art director at Havas Worldwide Chicago; and Jason Shipp, creative director at the MEplusYOU Agency in Dallas.
UAB students, faculty win big at Birmingham American Advertising Awardsby Shannon Thomason
UAB Digital Media fellows and interns and Department of Art and Art History faculty and students swept the Birmingham American Advertising Awards at this year’s ceremony.