Receiving grants are:
- Department of Ophthalmology, four grants totaling $1,395,000
- Callahan Eye Hospital, $400,000
- School of Optometry, three grants totaling $290,000
- Center for Low Vision Rehabilitation, $65,000
- School of Education, $20,000
- Public Radio WBHM 90.3 FM, $12,500
The grants will fund a variety of initiatives, including indigent care, core research support, mental health services for persons with vision impairments, improving access to care for those at risk for glaucoma, adult eye care in the Alabama Black Belt, and training teachers of the Alabama Radio Reading Service for the blind and print-impaired.
The EyeSight Foundation of Alabama has awarded grants in excess of $50 million to a number of nonprofit organizations throughout Alabama, in keeping with its mission to improve eyesight through education, research and access to care. Now in its fifteenth year, the foundation, led by a volunteer board of trustees, was created from the 1997 sale of the Callahan Eye Hospital to UAB. For more information, visit www.eyesightfoundation.org.