University of Alabama at Birmingham honors students performed well at the 11th annual University of Alabama System Honors Research Conference. The conference provides honors students at the University of Alabama, the University of Alabama in Huntsville and UAB with an opportunity to present their completed research in a professional forum to peers and faculty from all three institutions.
There were 50 presentations given by 57 students representing honors programs from all three campuses. Faculty from each campus judged the presentations.
The UAB winners are as follows:
- Podium Presentations, Social Sciences/ Liberal Arts: First Place – Shannon Denny, University Honors Program
- Podium Presentations, Biological Sciences: Second Place – Atbin Doroodchi, Science & Technology Honors Program and Third Place – Cassandra Garbutt, University Honors Program
- Podium Presentation, Physical Sciences/Mathematics/Engineering: Second Place – Alex Skinner, Department of Physics Honors Program
- Poster Presentations, Social Sciences/Liberal Arts: Second Place – Darius Morgan, School of Health Professions Honors Program, and Third Place – Nishita Baxi, University Honors Program
- Poster Presentations, Biological Sciences: First Place – Helen Lin, Early Medical School Acceptance Program; Second Place – Michael Williams, Department of Biology Honors Program and Third Place (tie) – Miranda Collier, University Honors Program and Kristina Vaughn, Global & Community Leadership Honors Program
- Poster presentations, Physical Sciences/Mathematics/Engineering: First Place – Timothy Fernandez, University Honors Program