- Published on September 19, 2014
Calibration is the process by which a quantitative measuring instrument is manipulated to respond and indicate a certain range of acceptable values. Accurate instrument calibration and its proper use is fundamental in a clinical or research laboratory program. Proper calibration ensures that meters can accurately detect radiation. It is also important to understand what is being calibrated and how the calibration is being performed. In this article, we will be discussing calibration of radioactive detecting instruments.
- Published on September 12, 2014
The first phase of this project has been completed, and a team of OH&S and City of Birmingham employees have labeled thirty storm water drains around campus that have been identified as high and medium dumping risks. The team will start working on labeling the rest of the medium dumping risk drains this month as a part of the project's second phase.
You can always play a part in improving the quality of the environment at UAB and the city of Birmingham by using proper methods to dispose of chemicals, trash, and cigarette butts. If you witness illegal dumping of chemicals, please notify OH&S.
Read more >>
- Published on August 13, 2014
image by James Gathany
Fortunately, we can all take steps such as:
- use an effective insect repellent on skin and clothing
- wear long sleeves and long pants (when it's not too hot)
- take care of our yards to get rid of standing water where mosquitoes lay their eggs
- reduce brush, tall grasses, leaf litter, and harborage where ticks may like to hang out