Disposal of WasteHazardous Waste: What is a hazardous waste?
- Unwanted, expired or waste chemicals and experiment/testing residues from lab operations
- Spent solvents, paints, pigments, etching acids, photo and x-ray developing and fixing solutions
- Any discarded, abandoned or unwanted material that exhibits a hazardous characteristic or is listed as a hazardous waste in the regulations
If you have any questions regarding hazardous waste disposal, contact the OHS Support Facility at 934-3797.
Medical Waste - Collected from labs and hospitals and shipped to commercial medical waste treatment, storage and disposal facilities
Municipal Solid Waste
- Regular garbage (food, packaging, etc..)
- Placed in trash cans and dumpsters around campus. Goes to local MSW landfills
- Plastic, cardboard, white paper, aluminum cans
- Placed in special recycling containers around campus or taken directly to the UAB Recycling Center. Material is sorted and compressed and sent to a local recycling center.
- Used Oil
- Sent to a recycler where it is blended as a fuel for use in industrial furnaces. Sometimes it can be re-refined back into lubrication oil.
- Kitchen Grease
- Sent to commercial facility for recycling into livestock feed or biodiesel
- Low-level waste includes items that have become contaminated with radioactive material or have become radioactive through exposure to neutron radiation. This waste typically consists of contaminated protective shoe covers and clothing, paper, plastic bags, cardboard, wiping rags, mops, filters, reactor water treatment residues, equipments and tools, luminous dials, medical tubes, swabs, injection needles, and syringes. See the U.S. NRC website.
If you need any more information regarding Radioactive materials waste regulation please refer to the UAB Radiation Safety Procedures Manual.
If you have any questions regarding hazardous waste disposal, contact the OH&S Support Facility at 934-3797.
Universal Waste - Collected from hospital and campus buildings and shipped to commercial universal waste treatment storage, disposal, and recycling facilities