It is designed to teach employees:
- how to recognize hazardous materials in the workplace,
- where to get information about them,
- how to read and properly label hazardous materials, and
- what to do in case of emergencies involving hazardous materials.
- Alabama Department of Environmental Management (ADEM) defines a sharp as "any used or unused discarded article that may cause punctures or cuts and which has been or is intended for use in animal or human medical care, medical research, or in laboratories utilizing microorganisms."
- Occupational Health and Safety Administration (OSHA) defines a sharp as "needles, scalpels, broken glass, capillary tubes and the exposed ends of dental wires."
At the end of this course, participants will be able to:
- Recognize the different types of sharps that could be present at UAB.
- Utilize the proper procedures for avoiding sharps injuries and what to do if it happens.
- Execute the proper guidelines when it comes to the proper disposal of unbroken or broken sharps.
- Properly don and doff the appropriate Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) as needed.
The UAB Vehicle Safety Committee in cooperation with the University Safety Committee is providing safety training for all personnel who operate UAB 15-passenger vans.
This course trains 15 passenger van operators how to safely load and transport personnel reducing or eliminating known hazards with 15 passenger vans. Additionally, this course enlightens operators of additional skills needed to load and transport cargo safely. You are required to take 15 Passenger Van Training only one time.
This training is required for anyone who handles, uses, and/or transports compressed gas cylinders.
You will receive credit for this course upon successful completion of the assessment. However, it only counts as partial training.
Supervisors, Managers, and Principal Investigators (PIs) are responsible for providing the hands-on, day-to-day training for their staff. This training must be documented (names, dates, and training content) and kept on file for audits.