Local parks played host to UAB’s early intramural sports

Written by 

intramurals retro 2 1 21 insideIn UAB’s early years, intramural sports were played at George Ward, Fair and Mortimer Jordan parks, all of which are or were located near campus. UAB Baseball’s Jerry D. Young Memorial Field now sits where Mortimer Jordan Park once was located.

The first UAB-owned and -operated intramural fields were built at the 600 block of 12th Street South and later moved to the 800 block of 11th Street South. In August 2018, a new Intramural and Club Sports Field Complex was constructed at 1101 5th Ave. South, adjacent to the Football Operations Center. The space includes two full-size competition fields, two digital scoreboards, access to water and campus Wi-Fi plus a building that includes two all-gender restrooms, a storage space for sports equipment and a utility room for lights and power.

Students can sign up for spring intramurals through Campus Recreation; in-person sports include billiards, air hockey, soccer and a basketball three-point contest. Learn more and register online.