- Academicians, scholars, scientists and researchers in education, health care, industry, and government institutions.
- Consultants to individuals, communities, and governments.
The goal of the Program is to prepare graduates to have the following skills:
- Design and implement research studies that will contribute to the knowledge base of rehabilitation science.
- Design and deliver educational courses related to rehabilitation.
- Translate innovative rehabilitation research findings into practice so as to advance the field of rehabilitation science.
Admission Selection Criteria
- Note that each application will be reviewed by the Admission Committee to identify individuals with strong commitment and aptitude to perform research related to Rehabilitation Science, along with strong academic preparation and professional-leadership potential.
- Undergraduate or graduate degree in occupational or physical therapy, engineering, exercise science, neuroscience, medicine, nursing, or other health related professions.
- Recommended Graduate Record Exam (GRE) scores greater than the 50th precentile in each of the three domains
- Recommended minimum GPA 3.0/4.0 in all previous coursework
- Three strong evaluation references, with at least one from a research lab mentor, and one from an academic source.
- With the written essay, provide evidence of appropriate goals of study, professional growth and commitment to research, with special emphasis on interest in research that is being conducted at UAB.
- Interview with faculty that shows passion and commitment to research and professional growth in Rehabilitation Science.
For more information contact:
David A. Brown, PT, Ph.D.
*The aim of this program is to prepare candidates to become leaders in teaching and research within the field of Rehabilitation Science. However, this is not a clinical training program. Applicants planning to become occupational therapists or physical therapists should visit the following websites to pursue training in these two professions: www.uab.edu/ot or www.uab.edu/pt.