Explore UAB

  • Automotive Services

    Automotive Services

    Automotive Services offers fueling, repair, maintenance, and annual safety inspections for UAB-owned state vehicles. To request service, complete a vehicle repair and maintenance request form.

    The department also helps ensure the university meets the U.S. Department of Energy’s alternative fuel vehicle requirements.

    • Shop Information & Hours

      610 8th Street South
      Birmingham, AL 35294-4555

      6 a.m.–4 p.m.

    • State Vehicle Required Maintenance and Safety Inspections

      State vehicles should have an oil change every 3,000 miles and have an annual service which includes the safety inspection required by Risk Management. Mechanics will make service calls within the campus area. Discounted car wash tickets are available at the repair shop, as well as locking gas caps for all state vehicles.

      Example of Inspection Report

    • Breakdowns & Accidents

      Vehicle Breakdowns

      State vehicles needing assistance with a flat tire, dead battery, or other issues should call Automotive Services as soon as possible. During office hours, contact us and we will determine how to best assist. After-hours on weekdays, call MARS at 205-975-6277 for help. After 10:30 p.m. on weekdays or anytime on weekends, call Weil Wrecker at 205-251-4060. Charges for Weil Wrecker's service can be billed to your department.

      Vehicle Accidents

      Any accident involving a state vehicle should be reported as soon as possible to the Office of Risk Management, using the accident reporting procedures as described in the Vehicle Safety Management Program document, on UAB's Financial Affairs website. For further Risk Management information, call 205-934-5382.

  • Purchase and Rental

    Purchase and Rental

    • Vehicle Rental

      UAB has negotiated rates for car and van rentals with Enterprise Rent-A-Car.
      For rental information, visit procurement's website, or contact UAB Purchasing Services & Procurement Contracts at 205-934-4515.

    • Vehicle Purchases

      New or Used Vehicles

      The Department of Energy requires the university to acquire alternative fuel vehicles (AFV) for automobiles with GVWR of 8,500 or less, which applies to most state vehicles.

      Automotive Services can assist you with determining if AFV purchase guidelines apply. Since the university has to meet this requirement, all vehicle purchases must be approved by the Associate Vice President for Business and Auxiliary Services. View the Purchase Approval Form.

      Golf carts and other utility vehicles fall under the alternative fuel vehicle purchase requirements. For more information from Environmental Health & Safety on driver training see the UAB Golf/Utility Cart Operation Program

      AFV List of Vehicles and State of Alabama Contract for AFVs

    • Vehicle Safety

      The Vehicle Safety Program is administered by UAB Environmental Health & Safety. Anyone who will drive a UAB vehicle is required to take the Defensive Driving course.

      The university also has a policy regarding the use of utility/golf carts that includes specific training for their use on campus. See UAB Golf Cart Operation Program for more information.

    • Vehicle Surplus

      Departments needing to surplus a vehicle should fill out an Equipment Disposition Form (EDF) with the designation "surplus" and appropriate signature in the blue box. The form should list:

      • License plate number in the description field
      • Vehicle number under property number
      • VIN number under serial number
      • Auto Surplus as the "To" location
      The form, along with the vehicle should be brought to Automotive Services to be turned in. The vehicle is taken into surplus for the semi-annual auction (January/July).

      Surplus vehicles are sold by sealed bid auction through UAB Procurement. Automotive Services receives a processing fee for each vehicle with the remaining sale proceeds going to the department/unit to which the vehicle was most recently assigned.

      The next surplus sale is to be announced. The vehicles in the sale are are sold "as-is" and are as follows:

      • Vehicle Year
      • Make
      • Model
      • Name

      For information on vehicle trade-in, see Equipment Accounting information.

  • Training

    State issued vehicles are for official UAB business only. Personal use of these vehicles is strictly prohibited.

    All drivers must:

    • Complete a Motor Vehicle Release (MVR) form
    • Maintain a valid driver’s license
    • Maintain an acceptable Motor Vehicle Record
    • Operate vehicles safely and as outlined in this Vehicle Safety Management Program
    • Report all accidents occurring on campus, regardless of the existence or extent of damage, to the UAB Police and Public Safety Department (accident with injuries, call “911” or for other accidents, call 205-934-3535 and to UAB Risk Management 205-934-5382.

    In addition, all approved drivers must complete the online UAB Defensive Driving course which can be found on the Campus Learning System. This course covers both UAB cars and all vans (no matter the number of passengers riding). New employees should take the course within 30 days of employment and renewal is required every three years.