At UAB, our majors and Spanish for Specific Purposes certificate candidates have the opportunity to work on an internship or a service learning course in the community before they graduate through FLL 333. This is a faculty-lead and supervised course that gives you practical experience in the workforce and on tasks of international scope, providing opportunities to use Spanish or French and apply intercultural competence in professional contexts.
Participating in an internship or a service learning course helps you:
- turn theory into practice
- use your language skills and cultural competence in professional contexts before graduation
- explore career paths first-hand
- intensify your civic engagement
- learn intangibles of the workplace from community partners (giving you hands-on experience with workplace skills, challenges, and environments)
- reflect on the strengths and weaknesses of your education
- make life-long academic and professional contacts that could further your career
- have practical experience with responsibilities and numerous rewards, including giving you an advantage in the job market
- FLL 333-001: Foreign Language Internship (1-6 credits) can be taken towards the major.
- FLL 333-00B: Foreign Language Service Learning (3 credits) is a required course for the Spanish for Specific Purposes program.
- Prerequisites: 6 hours of courses at the 300 level or equivalent, junior standing, and a minimum 3.0 GPA.
FLL 333 cannot replace language courses credit. Under exceptional circumstances, however, it may replace the required study-abroad program if approved by the Department Chair.
Course Goals and Objectives
In FLL 333 you will:
- learn to apply course material (to improve critical-thinking, reflection, problem solving, and decisions) in the field,
- acquire skills in working with others as a member of a team,
- develop and expand professional language skills (orally and written),
- develop an enhanced appreciation of community issues/needs,
- increase your involvement with community affairs, and
- gain an understanding of how the knowledge, skills, and abilities learned in your language studies apply to careers and everyday life.