Applicants must be graduates from an accredited registered nursing program with a baccalaureate degree in nursing. All coursework towards a BSN must be completed by December prior to the start of the Nurse Anesthesia program the following August. Applicants are required to provide proof of a valid professional RN license in the U.S. Only candidates with at least one year experience as an RN in a critical care setting are considered for admission.
Critical care nurses are those caring for critically ill patients who require invasive hemodynamic monitoring, titration of vasoactive drugs and management of mechanical ventilation. Critical care units that usually provide this type of experience include coronary intensive care, trauma/burn intensive care, cardiovascular surgical intensive care units, medical, neurological, surgical, and pediatric ICUs. Answers to questions involving critical care experience sometimes involve explanation and interpretation. Applicants are encouraged to contact the program manager at email@example.com if they have questions.
The candidate is expected to satisfy the following requirements:
- a minimum cumulative grade point average of 3.0 (A = 4.0)
- a minimum cumulative grade point average of 3.0 in science prerequisites
- a grade of C or better in each prerequisite course
- all sections of the GRE must be completed prior to application (verbal reasoning, quantitative reasoning, and analytical writing)
- a personal interview with the selection committee
- if accepted, complete the UAB medical history questionnaire and physical, provide proof of required immunizations, and receive satisfactory screening by the UAB Medical Center Student Health Service.
Nurse Anesthesia Specialty Track Prerequisites (courses listed in semester credit hours):
- Anatomy (3-4 semester credit hours)
- Physiology (3-4 semester credit hours)
- Microbiology (3-4 semester credit hours)
- College Chemistry (3-4 semester credit hours)
- Descriptive Statistics (3 semester credit hours)
The Nurse Anesthesia Specialty Track has six components: a central component in Birmingham and five regional components located in Alabama (Dothan, Huntsville, Montgomery, Tuscaloosa, and Mississippi).
Regardless of component, all students must attend daily classes at UAB for the first year of the program before beginning clinical rotations at their respective site.
For more information please contact Ms. Jacque Lavier at 205-975-3115 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Acceptance will be based upon the student's academic ability, work experience, and aptitude for a career in nurse anesthesia.
***NOTE*** If you would like to calculate your combined GPA, click here to download a sample MS Excel template you can use for calculations. MAC users please contact, Jacque Lavier 205-975-3115, or email@example.com for assistance.