- Arrange furniture to create clear pathways between rooms.
- Remove low coffee tables, magazine racks, footrests, and plants from pathways in rooms.
- Keep electric, appliance, and telephone cords out of pathways.
- Remove doorsills higher than 1/2 inch.
- Secure loose area rugs with double-faced tape, tacks, or slip-resistant backing.
- Do not stand on unsteady stools, chairs, ladders, etc.
- Repair loose wooden floorboards immediately.
Stairs and Steps
- Do not leave objects on stairs.
- Provide enough light to see each stair and the top and bottom landings.
- Do not place loose area rugs at the bottom or top of stairs.
- Do not use patterned or dark carpeting on stairs.
- Repair loose stairway rugs or boards immediately.
- Put nonslip treads on each bare wood step.
- Install handrails on both sides of the stairway. Both handrails should be 30 inches above the stairs and extend the full length of the stairs.
- Clean up immediately any liquids, grease, or food spilled on the floor.
- Store food, dishes, and cooking equipment within reach.
- Use a stepstool with an attached handrail.
- Repair loose flooring.
- Use nonskid floor wax.
- Place a slip-resistant rug adjacent to the bathtub for safe entry and exit.
- Install a nightlight in the bathroom.
- Place nonskid adhesive textured strips on the floor of the bathtub and shower.
- Place a sturdy, plastic seat in the bathtub if you cannot lower yourself to the floor of the tub or if you are unsteady.
- Install handrails on the bathroom walls near the toilet and along the bathtub.
- Stabilize yourself on the toilet by using a raised seat or a special toilet seat with armrests.
- Mount a liquid soap dispenser on the bathtub/shower wall.
- Keep the bedroom floor free of clutter.
- Place a lamp and flashlight near your bed.
- Install a nightlight along your route between the bedroom and bathroom.