James GrimesThe Chemistry Department academic advisor is Jamie Grimes.
Office Location: Chemistry Building 212
Email: chemadvise@uab.edu
No matter how good a student you are, getting the right advice is essential to your academic success. Undergraduates in the Department of Chemistry can ask for help from a dedicated academic advisor with offices in the Chemistry Building.

Incoming and Transfer Students

If you are a new student, meet with your advisor before signing up for classes. The hardest part of your first year should be your classes, not deciding what they should be. Take the easy way out: Make an appointment to talk or meet with your academic advisor before you attend New Student Orientation.

Current Students

You can rely on the Chemistry academic advisor for information, assistance, and encouragement throughout your time at UAB. In general, advisors will:

  • help you identify your goals and develop educational plans;
  • help you understand degree requirements, course selection, and schedule planning;
  • refer you to resources across campus that can boost your academic performance;
  • help you understand academic policies and procedures; and
  • provide information about potential areas of study.

Helpful Chemistry Links and Resources

Survival/study tips for chemistry courses:

Undergraduate Research Opportunities

Read more about undergraduate research opportunities in the department.

Chemistry Career Information

Student Groups

Career and Professional School Information

Visit the College of Arts and Sciences Pre-Health Advising site. There is a great deal of useful information there. Explore the many links and look for opportunities to meet professionals and hear from students in those schools (see Alpha Epsilon Delta). For pre-health advising, call the advising office at (205) 934-6135 to schedule an appointment.

Another helpful website for these careers is www.studentdoctor.net.
Pharmacy schools in Alabama: Other useful information:
If you are interested in the Master’s Program in Forensic Sciences at UAB, you usually must earn a chemistry or biology degree. No special concentration or minor is required, but chemistry majors need the CH 450 course with lab and biology majors need statistics and biochemistry. For more information visit the MSFS website.

If you wish to seek a job in a crime lab after earning an undergraduate degree in chemistry, we recommend the forensic chemistry track (concentration), which was designed for that purpose.