Explore UAB

  • Does your location take passport photos? Can you also do visa photos?

    Yes, we take photos on location for $12.99. Our photos meet the Department of State’s guidelines for U.S. passports. We can only take a visa photo if the country you are visiting has the same photo requirements of the United States, and most countries do not. We are only able to take 2 x 2 inch photos. If your country has different size requirements, then we will not be able to print your photo. If you have questions about a visa photo requirement, This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. for assistance.

    Appointments for photos alone will NOT be accepted. You may add the additional photo service to your passport appointment and pay for your photo fee online prior to your visit here.

  • What is the fastest time I can get a passport?

    The UAB Passport Office is an acceptance facility and does not process passports in house. The fastest we are able to send your passport is the expedited time frame set forth by the US Department of State. Processing times are always changing, so please reference the State Department website for current times.

    If you need a passport faster than the expedited period, you can make an appointment at a Passport Center, the closest two locations being in Atlanta, Georgia and New Orleans, Louisiana.

    Atlanta Passport Agency
    230 Peachtree St NW #1000, Atlanta, GA 30303
    Phone: (877) 487-2778

    New Orleans Passport Center
    365 Canal St #1300, New Orleans, LA 70130
    Phone: (877) 487-2778

  • My current name does not match the name on my birth certificate. What should I do?

    You will need to show identification that shows your current name and proof of name change. Marriage certificates, divorce decrees, and court orders can serve as proof of name change.

  • Can I renew my child’s passport?

    No. If your passport was issued when you were under 16 years of age, then your passport is not eligible for renewal, instead you must apply for a new passport.

  • I received a letter from the Department of State. What do I need to do?

    Please contact our office as soon as possible so that we can promptly address the issue to ensure you receive your passport in a timely manner. This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it., along with a scan or photo of the letter, so that we can best serve you.

    Letters from the Department of State

    The Department of State will sometimes send out letters regarding issues with applications. These letters do not indicate an application denial; however, they indicate that your application has been placed on hold until the Department of State receives the requested documentation.

    Here are a few examples that may result in a letter:

    1. Issues with photos. A government agent may determine that a photo is too bright/dark, large/small, head too tilted, eyes not opened wide enough, or sometimes the photo is even damaged during processing. If any of these happen, the government may request a new photo.
    2. Issues with signatures. The government may ask for the application to be executed again if they feel the signature may be forged or it doesn’t match the license signature.
    3. Issue with name changes. If there have been name changes, the government may ask for a court order, marriage certificate, or divorce decree to reflect the change.
    4. Issues regarding custody of minors. Remember, there are different types of custody (legal custody, physical custody, sole custody, etc.) They may request additional documentation depending on the custody type.
    5. Issues with DS-3053 minor form. Sometimes this form is not completed properly (i.e. parent and notary signed the form on different dates).

    If you receive one of these letters, please contact our office as soon as possible so that we may assist you in providing the requested documents to the government. Failure to act in a timely manner will result in a delay in processing and receiving your passport.

    We encourage applicants not to answer the letter without the guidance of our office. Additional mistakes can further slowdown passport processing. We’re here to help you throughout this process.

  • What if I have a life/death emergency or need to travel internationally within 72 hours?

    Please visit the US Department of State website for specific guidelines. It is important to note that the closest Passport Facilities to Birmingham that can process emergency requests are located in Atlanta and New Orleans.

Back to Top