Explore UAB

The Department of State considers individuals 15 years of age and younger to be minors. Minors should have both parents present at the passport application appointment.

Make an Appointment

Make an Appointment

Minors should have the following items during their passport appointment:

  • Both Parents

    Both parents must be present in order for signatures to be witnessed. If both parents absolutely cannot come to the passport appointment, you can bring a form called the DS-3053, along with the DS-11.

    • A DS-3053, along with a DS-11, is only required if both parents are not coming to the appointment. If both parents are coming, you only fill out the DS-11.
    • The parent that will be absent during the appointment needs to get the DS-3053 notarized in order for the child’s passport application to be accepted.
    • If you are bringing the DS-3053 form, you must also bring a copy of the front and back of the missing parent’s driver’s license or passport.
    • If only one parent has full custody, then only that parent has to be present. However, you must provide legal proof (such as a court order) explaining custody. Each child would need a copy of this court order.
    • If one parent is deceased, then you can submit a death certificate. Each child would need a copy of this certificate.
  • Passport Application
  • A check or money order

    A check or money order for the application fee (for each applicant).

    To view current fees, visit the Department of State.

    Calculate each applicant's fee using the Department of State's fee calculator

    *No exceptions. The Department of State does not accept cash or credit/debit card payments for passports.*

  • Passport Photo
    • We take photos on location for $12.99. This photo fee should not be included in your check or money order to the Department of State.
      • You can bring your own photo if you’d like, but be sure to it’s from a business that takes passport photos such as CVS or Walgreens. Call your local store to make sure that location offers photo services and you can ask about their prices.
    • We recommend that you not wear a white shirt for your passport photo.
    • If your child is a baby, we recommend bringing a white blanket for your baby’s photo. The baby can sit in a car seat or stroller with the white blanket behind them. You may also try holding your baby, but the white blanket must cover the parent’s hands and clothing to ensure they do not appear in the photo.
    • Appointments for photos alone will NOT be accepted. You may add the additional photo service to your passport appointment and pay for your photo fee online prior to your visit here.
  • Mandatory $35 execution fee
    • This is a processing fee set forth by the Department of State, which is paid to the passport office you visit, regardless of the location.
    • This fee should not be included on your check or money order to the Department of State.
    • This fee must be paid online prior to your visit.
  • Proof of U.S. Citizenship (Must be the official document with seal, cannot be a self-made copy.)

    This item must be mailed in with your passport application, and the Department of State will mail it back to you. You can bring one of the following:

    • U.S. Birth Certificate
    • Fully-valid U.S. Passport (can be expired)
    • Consular Report of Birth Abroad or Certification of Birth
    • Certificate of Naturalization
    • Certificate of Citizenship
  • Both Parent’s Form of Identification

    Both Parent’s Form of Identification. You can bring one of the following:

    • Both parents’ Driver’s Licenses
      • Temporary paper licenses are not usually recognized for passport purposes by the government. However, if you bring a temporary paper license along with the previously expired license, together they can usually serve as proof of identification.
    • Both parents’ passports
    • Both parent’s consular identification cards
    • Both parent’s state issued or country issued identification cards

Back to Top