Since 2013, UAB has been engaged in its most comprehensive strategic planning process.
We have accomplished much in these last few years to inventory our strengths and make strategic investments in our campus, IT and research infrastructure and programs to move UAB to the next level of excellence. In 2014, the schools and colleges, UAB Medicine and other university-wide foundational support units were charged with developing their respective strategic plans. Additionally, we have established a variety of institutional priorities and academic initiatives that are achieving excellence across our four mission pillars: education; research, innovation and economic development; community engagement; and patient care.
Now it is time to move to the next phase of our strategic planning.
The UAB Strategic Planning Council was formed in fall 2016 to steer the process through which input will be gathered from all of UAB’s constituencies.
The Council is charged with further developing a strategic plan that:
- Is high-level and consistent with a dynamic university that will make accelerated and measurable strides of accomplishment in the coming months and years.
- Capitalizes on the momentum we have experienced in the last years because of our investments in people and infrastructure to embrace the dreams of our campus.
- Ensures the vitality of attracting the best and brightest students and academic scholars.
- Reflects a desire to move our research, discovery and performance achievements forward in a substantial, innovative and positive way.
- Prepares our students for the globally connected world they will be a part of as they graduate and effect change in the world.
- Provides an unmatched teaching and learning experience for all our students.
- Infuses a comprehensive view of our core values: unity of purpose, academic freedom, accountability, caring and responsive service, collaboration, excellence and achievement, community involvement, diversity and inclusion, entrepreneurial spirit, innovation, ethical conduct and shared governance.
Further, the plan will align with UAB's vision and mission:
UAB’s vision is to be an internationally renowned research university — a first choice for education and health care.
UAB's mission is to be a research university and academic health center that discovers, teaches and applies knowledge for the intellectual, cultural, social and economic benefit of Birmingham, the state and beyond.